I had the 4th of 6 carbo/alimta treatments and just developed the shingles. I’m taking 1 gram of
Valacyclovir three times a day for 7 days.
I’m wondering about weather my 5th chemo should be delayed ?
Since there is always the danger of postherpatic neuralgia and other complications of the virus entering the brain and other organs , could continuing chemo raise the likelihood of developing these complications ?
What do you usually do in these cases where your patients develop shingles during therapy?
I’m sorry to hear of your latest complication, and I hope it doesn’t last too long. In this context, Dr. Pinder stated “Shingles can be a difficult problem in patients on chemotherapy. In patients with metastatic disease, I will usually hold chemotherapy if a shingles outbreak is underway.” – http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=6694.msg47114#msg47114
Jul 2008 Wife Liz (51/never smoker) Dx Stage IV NSCLC EGFR exon 19
4 cycles Carbo/alimta, 65% shrinkage
Mar 2010 progression, added Alimta, stable
Sep 2010 multiple brain mets, WBR
Oct 2010 large pericardial effusion, tamponade
Jan 2011 progression, start abraxane
Jun 2011-New liver, brain mets, add Tarceva
Oct 2011-Dx Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis; pulsed Tarceva
At rest Nov 4 2011
Since then: http://cancergrace.org/blog/jim-and-lisa