Recurrence post lobectomy

Portal Forums Q&A, Ask Us New Questions Recurrence post lobectomy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jess123 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts   
Author Posts
May 1, 2018 at 9:19 pm  #1294350    

jess123

Hii everyone

My mum had her 6 month post lobectomy scan which came back with enlarged para tracheal lymph node 2cm in right side and fibrotic lesion in right middle and upper lobe, she is going for a PET scan soon, just wondering if anyone else had a report similar to this, mum had right upper lobectomy in december and was stage 1b post surgery due to visceral pleural invasion but couldnt do chemo as wasnt recovered well post op by then, 2 lymph nodes were removed during surgery both were negative, thanks for reading along. Didnt think cancer will return so fast.

Regards
Jess

May 2, 2018 at 6:37 am  #1294351    

onthemark

Hi Jess,

I’m sorry for your sad news. I also only had two lymph nodes removed during VATS and ended up 1b with pleural invasion. Unfortunately cancer, especially lung cancer, can rear it’s head at any time.

There’s a lot of hope now in new treatments that weren’t approved 5 years ago, if it does turn out to be cancer. The PET scan will provide some information but it isnt’ definite either like a biopsy is. It might still be relatively ‘early’ cancer.

She could have still had adjuvant treatment up to 18 weeks after surgery, as we discussed on another thread. There are debates about which 1b patients should get adjuvant too…

I would seriously look at getting a second opinion if at all possible this time around in her treatment. Modern treatment is a very complicated situation sometimes and it is good to get at least two sets of eyes on her care.


10/2015 Chest xray found a nodule as part of a physical (no symptoms).
01/2016 Upper left lobe lingula preserving lobectomy stage 2b for 1.9 cm invasive adenocarcinoma with additional 2 mm AIS nodule found in pathology.
03-05/2016 Sixteen weeks of adjuvant cisplatin/vinorelbine.
07/2016 Durvalumab adjuvant clinical trial discontinued after 1st dose knocked out thyroid.
12/2016 Revised to stage 1b (due to VPI) after new guidelines for multifocal lepidic lung cancer.
07/2018 Next scan.

  • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  onthemark.
  • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  onthemark.
May 2, 2018 at 8:53 am  #1294355    
JimC Forum Moderator
JimC Forum Moderator

Hi Jess,

I too am sorry to hear of your mum’s possible recurrence, but it’s good to remember that lymph nodes enlarge for a variety of non-cancer related reasons, and fibrotic tissue may be the result of surgery or another process, and hopefully your mum’s is limited in extent.

The PET scan will provide additional information, but not a definitive answer, as the lymph node may light up as a result of an infectious or inflammatory process. As stated above, when the results become available, a second opinion may be a good option, since your mum may be at a decision point as to whether to initiate treatment or follow up with a subsequent scan. Dr. Weiss has a good post on the subject of second opinions here.

I hope that this proves to be much less worrisome than it appears at first look.

JimC
Forum moderator


Jul 2008 Wife Liz (51/never smoker) Dx Stage IV NSCLC EGFR exon 19
4 cycles Carbo/alimta, 65% shrinkage
Tarceva maintenance
Mar 2010 progression, added Alimta, stable
Sep 2010 multiple brain mets, WBR
Oct 2010 large pericardial effusion, tamponade
Jan 2011 progression, start abraxane
Jun 2011-New liver, brain mets, add Tarceva
Oct 2011-Dx Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis; pulsed Tarceva
At rest Nov 4 2011
Since then: http://cancergrace.org/blog/jim-and-lisa

May 2, 2018 at 4:13 pm  #1294366    

jess123

Thank you for your replies, praying its not a recurrence, mum will see a new onc after PET scan so she has a report with her, her surgeon ordered this scan as the previous onc treated mum and dad very badly as he came to know mum went for a second opinion with another onc(was when she got the diagnosis at first and was figuring out what to do) so mum doesnt want to see him and will see another onc suggested by surgeon this time. Thanks again

May 10, 2018 at 12:57 am  #1294392    

jess123

Hii Everyone

Mum had biopsy of lymph node which shows cancer as per pulmonologist doesnt get official report till saturday and will see onc on monday, i am just wondering if anyone here had anything similar to this and what the treatment was in their case?? Mum had EGFR exon 20 in the genetic testing done after the first surgery sample, will ask whether this sample will be tested or not, thanks for reading along, I really appreciate all your replies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.