Testicular cancer treatment options and my choice vs my dr.s choice

Portal Forums Cancer Basics General Cancer Basics Testicular cancer treatment options and my choice vs my dr.s choice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cards7up 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Posts   
Author Posts
April 13, 2017 at 11:44 am  #1290577    

daleboughton

I am 25 years old.I have been diagnosed with stage 1b non seminoma embryonal carcinoma testicular cancer. i have had my right testicle removed. testicle was only positive for lymphovascular invasion in the testicle. no other spreading noted. first post surgery ct scan showed lymph node swollen at 8.8 and a small small node on the lungs which is most likely benign. choices given to me at that point were 2 rounds of BEP chemo, rplnd surgery, or surveillance. elected for chemo but waited to start because , dr had me do 1 more ct 4 weeks later and that showed the lymph nodes down to 6.6 from 8.8 . and no change with the lung node. Now my doctor is recommending surveillance and nothing else with a %50 chance of it returning. I however want to just stick to the 2 rounds of chemo and try to take care of it now. because i have taken time off work. they have a temp for me so i cannot return for 2 months because that about how long i told em id be out. my insurance runs out at the end of this year. i have very good insurance my surgery to remove testicle was only $5. after that i won’t be on parents insurance and i couldn’t afford treatment if it comes back . me and counselor went over options but I barley make too much for the state health plan and work doesn’t offer very good insurance. My question is … i want the chemo 2 rounds now and some surveillance after.. dr wants to do surveillance and nothing else. do i have the final say in my treatment choice or can my dr pretty much tell me no on the chemo and just make me do surveillance.?
Thank you so much for reading this and your time!
-Dale

April 14, 2017 at 5:16 am  #1290579    
JimC Forum Moderator
JimC Forum Moderator

Hi Dale,

Welcome to GRACE. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and the difficulty you are having in reaching agreement with your doctor on the course of further treatment. The choice of treatment (or no treatment) is always yours, but your doctor must see it as an appropriate course of action for your situation.

Given that you and your doctor don’t seem to be on the same page at this point, it may be a good idea to have your records sent to another oncologist so that you can obtain a second opinion. The best choice would be a doctor at a teaching hospital, as they tend to be up to date on the latest research and treatments. You may get confirmation of your doctor’s recommendation, or your choice to proceed with treatment, and if the new doctor thinks each option is equally viable, then you can make the decision.

Good luck.

JimC
Forum moderator


Jul 2008 Wife Liz (51/never smoker) Dx Stage IV NSCLC EGFR exon 19
4 cycles Carbo/alimta, 65% shrinkage
Tarceva maintenance
Mar 2010 progression, added Alimta, stable
Sep 2010 multiple brain mets, WBR
Oct 2010 large pericardial effusion, tamponade
Jan 2011 progression, start abraxane
Jun 2011-New liver, brain mets, add Tarceva
Oct 2011-Dx Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis; pulsed Tarceva
At rest Nov 4 2011
Since then: http://cancergrace.org/blog/jim-and-lisa

April 14, 2017 at 9:24 am  #1290583    

cards7up

Could you have an infection that could be cured with antibiotics? Infections also cause lymph nodes to swell up and since yours reduced, it’s a possibility. Might want to try some antibiotics and then rescan. This is just my opinion being a two time lung cancer survivor and not a medical opinion. I also agree with Jim on getting a second opinion. Good luck!
Take care, Judy


Stage IIIA adeno, dx 7/2010. SRS then chemo carbo/alimta 4x. NED as of 10/2011.
Local recurrence, surgery to remove LRL 8/29/13. 5.2cm involved pleura. Chemo carbo/alimta x3. NED

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.