R U NEW TO Lung Cancer????? - 1253858

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dr West
Reply To: R U NEW TO Lung Cancer?????

skyesevens54,

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been going through. Obviously, this is a very specific situation, so I can't begin to know what is going on, but I hope that your concerns about the nodule turn out to be nothing but scarring. I also hope your pain is relieved effectively.

-Dr. West

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dr. Howard (Jack) West
Associate Clinical Professor
Medical Oncology
City of Hope Cancer Center
Duarte, CA

Founder & President
Global Resource for Advancing
Cancer Education

double trouble

If you had some nerve damage you might benefit from Lyrica or Gabapentin for that pain. In my case, the nerves regenerated and the pain is now gone, but it took a while. I would talk to the doctor about trying one of these. It's called Post Thoracotomy Pain Syndrome. And as far as the rolled eyes... VATS hurts! No doubt about it.
Good Luck
Debra

skyesevens54

Thankyou so much for your replies; Dr. West and Debra.
It has been a roller coaster ride ; I just needed confirmation that I'm not a hypochondriac with all this pain.
I have started taking Lyrica ;no relief yet but I'm sure it takes awhile to get into my system.
I have not had the option of seeing an oncologist yet so I take my surgeon at his word.

Thankyou again.

Dr West

Unfortunately, a minority of people develop significant, sometimes long-lasting pain after lung surgery. It's not expected, but it can happen. You're definitely not a hypochondriac. I'm sorry it's so miserable for you.

-Dr. West

Dr. Howard (Jack) West
Medical Oncology
Duarte, CA

Founder & President
Cancer Education

skyesevens54

Hi All;
Saw my surgeon again today; He is very happy with the CT scan. Unfortunately it does not give us any reason for the pain,but my surgeon agreed with Dr. West that some thoracic surgeries are painful for the patients and because he had to cut the rib - my lobe was too big ;(yoga , and breathing exercises?) did not help matters. .The small spot they has been watching is 1.2 mm and is actually calcification from all the pneumonia I have had previously. The only thing that has grown is a lymph node on the left and that went from 6mm to 7mm and it could actually be a tech error; Ct again in 6 mos. Normal xray visits 3mos.
The Lyrica did get rid of the burning in the armpit Yaaay!
Other pain is still there. I refuse to lie in bed or on the couch and that's it. I got a 7wk old Shepherd and I have been carrying him up and down 21 stairs about 16 times a day. Yes I am in pain ; but i am on painkillers and I am tired but it is a very good tired. You see, I am fighting the pain in my own way. I can't go back to work but my goodness I can enjoy each day.It is much easier now because pup has learned to go up and down the stairs on his own. :-P .
I wanted to let you all know what is going on. I am also on the inspire site.
Oh; can anyone let me know, The surgeon says he "got it all" ok now does that mean I am NED or am I a cancer patient for 5 years for the all clear??
Thankyou again.

jkrishna

I am from India. My mom got diagnosed with Metastatic mucin secreting Adenocarcinoma. She is 61. I am going through so many emotions. I just want to prolong her life for a little bit more . Looking at this forum gives me the hope. We are proceeding with Chemotherapy for now. Do not have much to add, since I do not know or understand medical terms. We had drained her fluid buildup in her lung twice now. She is still coughing.

What should I look for ? What questions should I ask the doctors who are dealing with her ?

JimC

Hello jkrishna,

I am very sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis; many of us here understand just how you are feeling.

If her coughing is caused by a recurrent fluid buildup, chemotherapy may reduce it, and there may be options other than just draining it again. You may want to ask her doctors about either a pleurodesis or a PleuRx catheter. You can read about the management of pleural effusions (fluid buildup) and these options here: http://cancergrace.org/lung/2007/03/18/mpe-managment-options/

Good luck with her treatment.

JimC
Forum moderator

<p>I began visiting GRACE in July, 2008 when my wife Liz was diagnosed with lung cancer, and became a forum moderator in January, 2010. My beloved wife of 30 years passed away Nov. 4, 2011 after battling stage IV lung cancer for 3 years and 4 months</p>

jkrishna

Dear Jim, Thanks for the kind words. I will ask the doctors about the PleuRx catheter.

jkrishna

Can anyone please let me know if there are links to good food options. My mom is a vegetarian and I would like to make sure she build up and regain strength before and after the Chemo process.

JimC

There's a very thorough discussion of this subject from nutritionist Kelay Trentham here: http://cancergrace.org/cancer-101/2010/09/03/what-is-an-optimal-diet-for...

JimC
Forum moderator

<p>I began visiting GRACE in July, 2008 when my wife Liz was diagnosed with lung cancer, and became a forum moderator in January, 2010. My beloved wife of 30 years passed away Nov. 4, 2011 after battling stage IV lung cancer for 3 years and 4 months</p>

bcharlie

Charlie Here!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still alive and kicking!

I am currently on a routine of seeing my Oncologist and having a scan every three months. I finished my Chemo last December and have had three scans that have been N.E.D. I am now seeing a Kidney Doctor because it appears that I have some Kidney damage that could be related to the Cistplatin. All in all I am doing well.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

catdander

Hey Charlie! So good to hear you're still NED! One year down, 4 to go...right?
Thanks for checking in on us, we need the likes of you so to level out the field here at Grace.
Keep us posted while you care for your kidneys. Good good luck!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too :)

Janine

skyesevens54

Great Charlie !! Wonderful about the NED .
I hope it will be a walk in the park for treatment of the kidney .
Merry Christmas to you and to al others , here on inspire .

May you all have a pain free night .

Dr West

So great to know that you remain cancer-free. Thanks for the update!

-Dr. West

Dr. Howard (Jack) West
Medical Oncology
Duarte, CA

Founder & President
Cancer Education

laya d.

So good to hear from you Charlie. . .and may we get NED updates from you for decades to come!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Laya

skyesevens54

Hi everyone. I truly hope that everyone is having a pain free day.
I haven't checked in for awhile. For that I am truly sorry.
I have had my one year anniversary of my Vat surgery April 10th.

I still see my Dr every 3 mos because of the horrible pain I'm still in . I have a 5 in a car on my upper right RT back where the scar is. I can't walk for more than 4 5 min to 1 hr because then I am doubled over in pain. The Dr's are monitoring me and I am on gabapentin as well as morphcontin 3 x daily.
Also my dr is monitoring get a node that is on my lower RT lobe. He showed me the node which is stable by the way , on the Xray . It looks much bigger to me than what he told me.

I did want to be in touch . May you all have a pain free night.
Vera

skyesevens54

Sorry about spelling mistakes. Writing on phone.
Vera

JimC

Vera,

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad that the node is stable, and I continue to hope that your pain will subside.

Best to you, and thank you for the good wishes for all of your GRACE friends.

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

It sounds like he and you are doing all the right things. If it provides any hope at all, I have had patients who had significant post-thoracotomy pain for years, requiring opioids and significantly affecting their quality of life, who gradually improved over years to the point of doing just fine after long enough. I hope you follow that pattern of ongoing improving over time, and of course I hope that lymph node being monitored is nothing but an innocent node.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

Dr. Howard (Jack) West
Medical Oncology
Duarte, CA

Founder & President
Cancer Education

skyesevens54