Queation on bladder toumour - 1291261

bat4

Dear Team.

I have been diagnosed with a bladder toumour. With no symtom. I used to smoke once in a week about 9 mnths ago. But since 9 mnths i am not smoking atall. Wanted to know if this is the reason for the toumour to be formed in my bladder. Aside from that i urinate frequently ever since. I have pcod since a very long time which is under treatment. Please let me know if these toumours are caused due to smoking? Or if there can be some other reason for it.

Forums

JimC

Hi bat4,

Welcome to GRACE. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and I hope that it can be successfully treated.

Cigarette smoking does increase the risk for bladder cancer, and the risk is greater depending on how long you smoked and how much you smoked each day. It is also much higher for current rather than former smokers.

Once a week is pretty light usage, and less likely to be the cause of your cancer, but you haven't indicated how long you were smoking. If you were only smoking for a relatively short period, it is much less likely to play a role in causing your tumor, since the damage caused by smoking usually takes many years to develop into a detectable cancer. As a result, cancer is much more common among those who began smoking a number of years ago.

Good luck with treatment.

JimC
Forum moderator

bat4

Thank you for your reply. I had smoked for a year. Lets take 2 cigrets a week. And stopped 9 months back with no intake of a single cigret. The biopsy report is yet to come in the next week. Meanwhile i wanted to know if the report would show the actual cause of the tumor or it would just indicate the nature of the tumor.

JimC

Hi bat4,

That short a period of minimal exposure, beginning less tha two years ago, is very unlikely to have caused your cancer.

And the biopsy results will not pinpoint the cause. Unfortunately, many patients never know the specific cause of their cancer.

JimC
Forum moderator

bat4

While urinating i feel a massive pull on the right side of upper part of vagina and the pain extends towards the centre. I am still waiting for the biopsy reports to come and most probably i should get it in 2 days. Since this pain has started from 3 days.. wanted to know about it.

JimC

Since you had a recent biopsy procedure, I would recommend that you discuss these symptoms with your medical team. They would be in the best position to evaluate your situation, perhaps after an examination, to determine whether your symptoms might be related to the procedure or have another cause.

I hope that follow-up will lead to a reduction in your discomfort very quickly.

JimC
Forum moderator

catdander
I wonder if there is pain from the biopsy. The bladder is tucked in around the vagina and uterus it may be possible something was nicked on the vagina or having sympathetic pain from the bladder. Just guesses since it could be lots of things. Let your onc know when your see her/him for biopsy results or call the onc earlier or go to er if it's worrisome.

Here's to hoping for the best of results!
Janine

bat4

Dear Team,

I have attached my biopsy report and to my luck my doctor is out of town for 3 days. could you please review this report and let me know, what is this condition?

Regards
Batool.

bat4

Dear Team,

I have received my biopsy reports and uploaded the image of the report. please review and let me know what it is.

bat4

Dear All,

Tried to attach my biopsy report, but experiencing some difficulty in posting the same on the website. I have pasted below the text of the report for your reference. kindly please review and let me know about it.

BIOPSY REPORT:

CLINICAL DETAILS:
Blader Tumor (Superficial tumor)
Haematuria for evaluation
TURBT done

SPECIMEN:
1.Bladder tumor (superficial)
2.deep muscle biopsy

GROSS DESCRIPTION:
Bottle 1. Received gray white soft tissue bit each measures 0.5x0.5x0.3cms. All embedded (A).
Bottle 2. Received Single bit of 0.2 cms. All embedded (B).

MIcroscopic Description:
Bottle 1-A.Section show elongated branched and fused papillae with tumor cells composed of mildly pleomorphic cells with enlarged round to oval hyperchromatic nucei and occassional nucleoli. Cytoplasm ic scanty to moderate eosinophilic. No mitosis seen. Lamina Propria is edematous and show congestion.

Bottle 2-B. Tissue sections show urothelium as described above. Lamina propria is edematous and congested. Smooth muscle bundles are not seen.

Impression:
Features are suggestive of papillary Urothelium neoplasm of low malignant potential, No lamina propria muscle invasion is seen.

JimC

Hi bat4,

Although detailed analysis of lab reports is beyond the scope of this site, and in any event best left to pathologists, I can point out that the report's conclusion, that the biopsy is "suggestive of papillary Urothelium of low malignant potential" refers to a type of neoplasm that does not tend to invade other areas of the body ("metastasize"). The long-term survival for such patients tends to be very good; I have seen a ten-year survival rate of 95% quoted.

Of course you will need to confer with your medical team for a definitive interpretation, but I hope that your prognosis is at least as good as it appears to be based on the language of the report.

JimC
Forum moderator