Fluid in the lining of my Lung? - 1249337

aunttootsie001

Okay so all of my CT's and Pet Scans have been clear every since my Tumor was removed Aug. 29th 2011. In my last two CT's it showed an accumulation of fluid in the lining of the remainder of my left Lung. my Dr. Thinks I should have it drained and she wants it tested. So now I'm very nervous! I have prayed a lot during the last year or so and try to remain positive but as I'm sure you all know sometimes you can't fight your feelings. Anyway I'd like some in put about this procedure and what I can expect. Deep breaths.

Forums

Dr West

The process involves putting a needle through the ribs a few centimeters, after some numbing medication has been given, and then having fluid removed through that needle. The fluid is collected and some of it goes to the lab to look for cancer cells, and sometimes they'll also look for an infection or other things. It usually takes just a few minutes to do. Often people breathe better once it's done, but sometimes people will develop a cough and/or pain in that half of the chest as the lung expands better.

The leading risks are of a collapsed lung from the needle getting into the lung, and also a risk of infection, bleeding, and some pain. It's a common procedure, and the person doing it will go over it in more detail.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

certain spring

Good luck Aunt Tootsie. I've never had this done but it's very common - if you search you'll find that many GRACE members have had it. A member of my family who's a doctor says it's a very satisfying procedure to perform because people often feel better straight away.

sistersue2

My current oncologist (in consult with a pulmonologist) watches very carefully for fluid in the lining of the lung and keeps it drained. A problem called trapped lung can be the result of leaving fluid there too long, then surgery can be required to remove the thickened surface and allow the lung to expand again. I know because it happened to me. I'm really not a candidate for surgery now due to blood clots so I just have to live with this problem that really didn't need to happen. I have had a couple of these procedures and they are not bad, especially if you have a very experienced pulmonologist. Don't let just any doc do it though, because it's really easy to knick the lung. Try to look at it from the perspective of prevention of future problems and don't be afraid of what they will find in the fluid because sometimes that's the least of your worries. Keep the faith.

laya d.

Yes. . .BEST OF LUCK!!! Hopefully it's absolutely nothing. Also, if it's OK with your doc, take a Tylenol about 20 minutes or so before they drain you. There is a little bit of pressure/pain involved with the process (per my mom's experience). . .but Tylenol or some over-the-counter pain med will help that.

xoxo,
Laya

aunttootsie001

Test went well, although I didn't realize it was that involved. Got there at 11:00 AM and got home at 7:00 PM. The worst part is the waiting before and the 4 hours after! They wouldn't even let me out of bed to go to the bathroom. It was very similar to the Biopsy I had last August 2011. But must have been a different Dr. because I was only allowed up to go! Now just have to wait for results to come back NED!

aunttootsie001

please forgive me if my responce gets repeated in other places. I'm still having trouble finding the Blogs that I have posted. Anyway my update, which Dr. West has already posted on came back with Cancer Cells in the Fluid. Now I wait to see the Dr. to find out where we go next. Must remain positive because we just had a couple New Great Grand babies born. by the end of the year it will be Four Great Grandchildren and I plan on being around to see them grow! Not to mention 3 Grandsons still small and involved in lots of sports. So for Now we wait! Thanks everyone for your comments and best Wishes! I was always recommending Richard Bloch's book Fighting Cancer to the New people, which I read for the first time last year after my Surgery and during Chemo. So I have decided to read it again for reassurance! Happy Halloween!

certain spring

Sorry to hear this, aunttootsie. But you have had good results so far, and you have a great attitude. I hope the meeting with your oncologist results in a reassuring plan, especially when you have all these grandchildren and great-grandchildren to attend to!

double trouble

I'm sorry to hear this news, aunttootsie. Please let us know what the doctor says about the next step. You should be very busy on Halloween! Have fun!
Debra

laya d.

Continued best wishes to you, aunt tootsie. . .I'm sure your docs will come up with a great plan for you to help keep this dreaded disease at bay for a looong looong loooong time.

Laya

aunttootsie001

Thank You all for your support! I was wondering if they should do another form of biopsy to confirm these results. I maybe grasping at straws but I'm thinking that would be wise before we jump into more Chemo especially since I was only able to do two treatments of Chemo before my White count went South and was 11 weeks before I was even close to Normal. So I'm thinking Chemo may not be an option for me. And my type of Cancer is Adenocarcinoma. I was on Carbo/Taxol. Then ONC wasn't even thinking Radiation at the beginning until the drop of white count we then did. The Rad. Which ended in March. I just want to be apprised of any options I might have at this point! Any input is very appreciated from all especially Dr. West! Thanks guys your all Great and I am aware some of you maybe in a worse spot than me so with that being said, I will put you in my prayers! I may have some answers tomorrow after I see my Lung Dr. I don't see my ONC until Thursday. Night all and God Bless!

Dr West

I don't think there's any clear incentive for another biopsy. The fact that cancer cells were found in the pleural fluid confirms the cancer itself, can potentially provide cells for molecular testing if needed, and also demonstrates that this is a stage of cancer for which systemic therapy is going to be the cornerstone of treatment. There may well be different chemo regimens that will be associated with less difficulty in keeping the cell counts up. But systemic therapy is the main treatment approach for lung cancer that is in the pleural fluid.

-Dr. West