stereotactic radiation lungs side effects - 1249349

billiec42

My husband had stereotactic radiation around 1st of April, 2012. The latter part of July we noticed darkening in the area left of the left nipple, with PAIN, IS THIS TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT?

Forums

catdander
Hello billiec, Welcome to Grace. I'm sorry your husband is having pain. Are you saying the pain is on the skin where the darkening is happening or deeper, in the lungs, where the radiation was directed. Scar tissue that forms inside the lung can sometimes cause pain. Another question, have you talked to the radiation oncologist about it? Anytime there are symptoms of pain following cancer treatment it would be important to discuss with the oncologist.
Often people acquire skin burns, like a sunburn at the radiation site. The burn would have begun during or just after radiation then as it heals the skin turns darker than the rest in the area. My husband is 3 years out from chest radiation and still has a dark patch on his back. However I don't know of others siting pain in the burn area.
I'll look out for you to post back with answers.
I hope this helps,
Janine

Dr West

I believe this will usually improve over time, as it is more of a temporary burn. Depending on the location and the intensity of the radiation, though, there may be some scarring that could be permanent. I wish I could offer a specific thought, but it really depends on specific details, and it likely still varies from person to person.

-Dr. West