Anorexia - 1246479

christineleeds

Philip is struggling a bit after his recent radiotherapy.Here in uk X-rays are used much more but he is having a scan this week after today seeing onc and we go back next Tuesday to discuss topotecan as 3 rd line depending on what scan shows .I think he has not yet recovered from radiation and will improve but could be wrong .Question is he still has excellent appetite ,still interested in food and has not lost an ounce since dx.Is this normal.If question is too trivial please just remove it.
Thank you
Christine

Forums

JimC

Hi Christine,

It sounds as though Philip has done very well with his treatments, both in response and tolerance. So in that situation it seems perfectly reasonable that he would retain a good appetite and weight. That was the case through pretty much of my wife's treatment.

JimC
Forum Moderator

Dr West

Sure, that's normal. It's good when someone is eating well, but it doesn't prove that there isn't also cancer progressing. We're worried when we see someone dropping weight rapidly and reassured when we see someone maintaining a robust appetite and a steady or perhaps rising weight (depending on the rate of rise and where they started), but it doesn't provide a guarantee that would obviate monitoring with scans as well.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

certain spring

Hi Christine, just seen this. I've been looking out for a post from you. I think it's wonderful that Philip still has a good appetite. It will keep him strong.
When you say he's struggling with the radiation, do you mean the fatigue? or is it something else?
We drove through Yorkshire on Thursday (coming home from a nice holiday in Scotland). It was lovely weather and I thought of you and Philip! All best.

christineleeds

Dear Certain Spring
Thanks for thinking of us.Philip has had a very bad chest infection after the radiation and had a couple of nights in hospital.He thinks radiation has had no effect ,onc isn't sure and we are waiting scan result but with all the scarring and infection even scans don't show much.May have to move on to topotecan next week .Gp says infection still showing 95 in blood so still very high and this may be causing symptoms not progression.He is completely exhausted but onc says still fit and no problem with more chemo so we shall have to see.I hope it is all being caused by the infection and radiation
Christine

certain spring

Really sorry to hear that. I find chest infections tough, and regaining one's strength is also hard. I can well believe he is exhausted. I had one a couple of weeks ago and I was a wreck. It taught me to make sure that someone (hospital, lung nurse, GP) has checked the microbiology results, as I spent a week on the wrong antibiotics, feeling increasingly desperate.
Hope Philip does not despair of the radiation. I know all about scans being impossible to read! Good luck on Tuesday.

laya d.

HI Christine:

It's so nice hearing from you. . .and I'm so very sorry to hear that Philip has been fighting a chest infection. Hopefully, he is on the mend while radiation has been doing its job. Please do keep us posted on how both you and he are doing. Like CS, I too had been wondering how you both had been faring through this latest round of treatment.

Much Love,
Laya

christineleeds

Philip rushed to hospital Tuesday exhausted and confused.turns out sodium level at 114 and severe infection in both lungs despite 3 rounds antibiotics.on intravenous antibiotics( at a strength equivalent to Domestos) according to onc and they are attempting to bring sodium up slowly as they are saying too dangerous to give sodium directly which I don't quite understand.He was so distressed that onc warned might be a terminal situation.I was almost at point of stopping treatments but today he has rallied amazingly and onc delighted. And is talking topotecan again in a week or so if he continues.He is still a bit like senile dementia but he is Philip again and creaking jokes with the nurses.On Tuesday both onc and I agreed he was not Philip if you can understand what I mean.Anyway will wait and se how he goes and any decision re treatment must be his this time I am not going to try to influence him.Oh the ups and downs of this disease
Christine

Dr West

That drop in sodium, called syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone (SIADH), is not uncommon in SCLC. It's absolutely appropriate to change the sodium gradually, as changes that are more sudden can lead to shifts of the volume of the brain that can be dangerous. Slow and steady is the way.

I'm glad to hear he's doing better now.

-Dr. West

certain spring

Dear Christine - Sorry to hear about this, hang on in there. Thinking of you both.