I've searched a bit but can't find quite the right topic, so here goes. I missed the boat on enrolling in one trial; I'm exploring another, the consultation/signing is Nov. 4. Biopsy has to be done and tissue sent off, so that's another 2 weeks, plus a week before dosing, if not two. With 3 - 4 weeks before dosing, and chemo being continuously put off, I'm now out 5 months from the last cycle of carbo-gemzar (stable). I've been on Tarceva since. Things are going south fast, but in case I can't wait to start a trial, my oncologist has ordered Cisplatin (50mg)+ Navelbine. I didn't realize this meant a central line which needs to be flushed twice/day or a port (2 - 3 weeks to be placed), nor did I know it was a 7 hour infusion. This would be something like 6th line, but without expectation of anything more than stabilization
Dr. West described cisplatin-navelbine in adjuvant therapy as being "soul-crushing", that people would discontinue, inspite of the survival benefit. I'm wondering if the combination is overkill in terms of seeking symptom arrest? I wouldn't want to be so debilitated that I couldn't go on to another trial. It sounds very difficult and awful.
Might another combination - like Alimta+Gemcitabine (or even Gemzar+Navelbine) - do well for arresting symptoms? For the record I've had 8 Carbo, 6 Gemzar, and many Alimta infusions (with acceptable response). Or is there another non-platinum doublet I might consider? I thought Gemzar + Tarceva might hold me, but more chemo kept being put off. Does this make trying Gemzar + Tarceva not reasonable?
Thanks for any insights,