ground glass - 1247277

candigrl63

i wrote here back in 2009 about a ct scan that showed a lung nodule surrounded by ground glass and ground glass infiltrate in lower left lobe. another ct said 13mm ground glass opacity in right mid lobe. over two years i wrote with follow up ct results. in my last 2 ct reading there is no mention of ground glass. does this mean it disappeared? i am worried because my father has ipf and i know ground glass is a finding with ipf. should i be worried?

Forums

JimC

Hi candigrl63,

Normally if something is seen on a scan, it is mentioned in the report. In fact, radiologists often over-report just to be safe. But I think if you want to be sure, ask your oncologist and see if he or she has an answer or can get one from the radiologist.

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

The appearance of ground glass opacity (GGO) is suggestive of the normally air-filled space of the lung being obscured/filled by something else, which could be infection, fibrosis (the supporting tissues are thicker than normal), inflammation, possibly some types of cancer. If it disappears, that's generally a good thing (and certainly not cancer-like). So it sounds like your scan results have been favorable. Good for you.

-Dr. West