heimlich portable chest tube question please - 1253892

mickey61

I posted a long thread on here after a ct needle biopsy where my lung collapsed and I was sent home with the hemlich portable tube due to air leak.

My questions is hospital sent me home with a spirometer and I was told to use it frequently and walk. Also they said take deep breath and cough. this is on my discharge papers.

I am reading everywhere on this forum and lungevity and cancer.org where similiar storys of collapse lung due to needle biopsy they were told be still, do not cough especially not cough and rest so the hole closes, that coughing and deep breath will open it back up, oh my gosh I think I am doing everything wrong especially since I am using the spirometer every hour.

Please can someone answer what is the normal procedure for get an air leak to close and not reopen.
Thanks
Mickey

Forums

catdander
Micky, I think it's best that you call your care team and ask for clarification on your instructions and let them know of your concerns. Too it will help them help you if you practice your question in as few words as possible. I understand the instinct to want to give every bit of info so I speaking from experience.
Please let us know how it goes,
Janine

mickey61

Thanks I appreciate your reply, I will wait and pray I'm doing things right. I was just worried because I am reading things so different on the forums,but I will follow the instructions the hospital gave me, I don't really have a care team, only one Dr (surgeon) so far, no team, not yet anyway. Thanks again

Sorry about the long thread, please delete that for me. thanks

catdander
Mickey, it's still very appropriate to call and ask for verification from your doctor.

Hope you are well soon. Keep us posted.

aunttootsie001

Janine, I'm sure you will back me up on this, these Blogs are meant for support and by all means should be used as helpful tips. If your in need of a immediate answer it is always best to call your Dr. If he can't be reached I'm sure either your Primary Dr. Or even emergency room would be happy to answer your questions. Almost every where you go for treatment they usually say, If you have any Questions or problems to call. They usually will even have a phone number on your release sheet. Better Safe than Sorry! Lorrie.

mickey61

Thank you, I was trying to find someone that had a similair situation/support since I feel like I am in the minority with the lung collapse. It was no emergency. I have the papers and it tells me what to do, I was just reaching out to people who maybe had similiar situation and what they did. Sometimes when things happen you feel like your the only person in the world who had that happen. Its ok, basically I was trying to find someone in a similiar situation who could give helpful tips, maybe I worded it wrong and I completely understand. thank you.

laya d.

No problem, Mickey. . .please ask away. That's what being a part of a community is all about. It's just that if you need immediate attention or have an individualized question about your specific situation, your own docs are the best people to turn to.

As to your air leak question...this is what was explained to me when my Mom had a biopsy that led to a partially collapsed lung. The docs told us that our lungs are like balloons. When a needle is poked through for biopsy purposes, it sometimes may cause some of the air to leak out and deflate the lung (the lung becomes a bit saggy - - it doesn't burst). The hole generally seals itself up after a bit and the lung (balloon) fully inflates again. But if this happens, they usually keep you for observation and do repeat x-rays to make sure that the lung is "inflating" or is fully "inflated" (my words) again. When they did this for my Mom, they kept her overnight for observation (particularly because she only had one lung when this occurred, so it could have had a really bad outcome if things went south).

Do you recall them doing x-rays after your lung collapse, but before they sent you home? Have they asked for you to go back for any follow-up x-rays? My non-medically trained hunch is that they want you to use the spirometer because it helps expand your lung and therefore helps plug-up the tiny hole that is causing you the problem. Coughing is a different phenomenon than using a spirometer. Coughing can be very violent and jarring.

In any event, I hope your issue resolves very very very very quickly.

Laya

catdander
Indeed Lorrie, always better safe than sorry. I've spent a lifetime trying to learn the best approach to others so we both get what we need. Trimming my input is one thing I always have to keep in mind. But I think I'll always go out on a limb if need be.
Don't hesitate to call your doctor's office.

aunttootsie001

Well here's the latest update. We are going to try a puffer before Bed to see if it helps with the Wheezing. Labs while on almost two weeks of Xalkori 200mgs were okay. She even put me on a every 2 week labs now. And seeing her every 4 weeks instead of every three. So will see how this goes? We discussed if the fluid doesn't start to disapate in a week or two I will go see Pumologist and get it Drained before we go to Florida! Yay! She's on board for me to go! I will get labs done while I'm there. your right Micky, pads on your chest sounds really Glamous! Although very ingenious! We ladies will find a fix for any situation.
So nice to see you Laya, so Glad your sticking around with us! Hope your feeling a little better these Days, sweetie!

laya d.

Hi Lorrie!!!

Thanks for the update and the "shout-out." I still have to take it day by day...lots of good days - - but lots of bad ones too. Just missing her terribly!

xoxo,
Laya

catdander
Hi Laya, Good to hear of the good days and so happy to have you here but only if it's good for you.
Thanks for your input and Much love,
Janine

Dr West

I really agree that it's always most appropriate to use the doctors directly involved as the first and best resource, especially if you're getting mixed signals.

We absolutely do want to provide help here, but we shouldn't override the doctors directly involved.

Finally, as Janine mentioned, it's very helpful to provide as brief a summary as possible that includes the necessary background information to help, without too much detail, just because the folks here are trying to help as many people as possible in a limited amount of time.

-Dr. West