Lymph Node Biopsy - 1264867

wantvictory

Are lymph nodes destroyed and no longer work after a fine needle biopsy?
What are the ramifications if the entire lymph node is removed?

Many thanks,
WV

Forums

JimC

Hi WV,

There are many, many lymph nodes, so taking out one or a few has no effect.

JimC
Forum moderator

wantvictory

It seems to me that lymph nodes work on a trail, so to speak, and if one is removed or damaged then there would be a backup in the lymph.

I just wonder if the the RL4 node that was fine needle biopsied is still working or damaged.
Also, I may have another supraclavicular node that will be biopsied. Will it disturb the flow of lymph and is that a problem.

Many thanks.

JimC

In answer to a similar question about the removal of several lymph nodes, Dr. West stated:

"There’s redundancy in most body functions, so just as you can get by quite well with a lobe or even an entire lung removed in many cases, the body doesn’t miss the loss of several lymph nodes." - http://cancergrace.org/topic/bronchioloalveolar-chemotherapy/page/2/#po…

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

A major surgical dissection, such as in the armpit for a breast cancer surgery, can cause enough disturbance in lymphatic drainage to lead to swelling in the arm, called lymphedema. I have never heard of a lymph node biopsy or single node removal causing this kind of problem and would say that it's almost an unfathomable concern that a node being biopsied or removed will cause any significance risk other than a very small risk of bleeding or infection from the invasive biopsy procedure itself.

-Dr. West

Dr West

Right. It's really like worrying about how a body will manage after donating a pint of blood. There's plenty left over to do what's needed.

-Dr. West