Massage - 1255600

sherrys

I looked up this topic and see that it has been discussed before, but I just wanted to clarify a few things if possible.

My son bought me a gift package for a massage. Next Sunday is my birthday, so I called to schedule a couples massage for my husband and I. In the course of them asking me questions, I was told first that they cannot do a massage on a person with cancer. Tney said that it "changes the cellular structure of the body" and that the massage can spread the cancer.

They then said they could do it since I am not on traditional chemo (I'm on Tarceva) ONLY if I have a note from my dr. stating it is ok.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It sounds a little odd to me.

I do wonder, however, about the Tarceva rash on my back. Right now it is ok, but if it would flair up, should I have them avoid my back?

Forums

catdander
I'll send this off to a doctor for input but I recall at least one onc saying the only problem was not enough people get them, or something along those lines. Seems I recall too someone saying something about that dam rash and massage and to be careful. Hopefully some of our tarceva group will comment on this. I must admit I've never had a proper massage. Only because of the cost, my mom used to give fab foot massages.
I just had to edit this because of something I just remembered, I used to sit on the back of his chair and give my dad shoulder massages and recall how much he really liked them. At the time he was very sick with cancer though it wasn't diagnosed until 4 days before he died. I'm sure I only helped. ;)

Dr Pennell

There should be no problem getting a massage. The truth is there really is no evidence for or against getting massages, but there is no reason to think they would be harmful (with certain exceptions). There is certainly no reason to fear the massage will somehow cause the cancer to spread!

A couple things to note though: deep tissue massage can be quite forceful and even painful. Patients who have bone metastases should avoid strong manipulations to areas involved to avoid fractures. Probably best to just keep it light pressure for relaxation, but this is just my personal opinion. If you have no bone mets and are otherwise healthy, should be no issues with any massage.

Some patients can have significant neuropathy from chemotherapy that can be painful, so massage might actually not feel good but wouldn't be harmful. Any open wounds or sores from a rash should probably be avoided in the massage to ensure both your comfort and the safety of the practitioner.

I would say get the doctor's note and enjoy!

catdander
Sherry, I don't really have anything to add except that I spoke with a massage therapist/one of my yoga instructors about this. He said he asks for a doctor's ok for the "with certain exceptions" reason Dr. Pennell suggested above.

I hope you've begun to enjoy your massages, I'm going to start saving up for one asap. ;)
Janine