nagging cough after recent lung lobe resection- I'm a non-smoker - 1270511

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
janwoodward
nagging cough after recent lung lobe resection- I'm a non-smoker - 1270511

Hi There,
This is my first time ever on anything like this...
I wondered if anyone else has had constant coughing after VATS lung resection?
A quick history about me - I am a Never- Smoker.
They found this lung nodule incidentally on a CT scan when I had my second Pulmonary Embolism.
It is almost 4 weeks now since I had a lower left lobe resection.
I was dx with adenocarcinoma 1A and thankfully my lymph nodes are clear.
But really overall I'm doing pretty good - I just can't stop coughing..... the surgeon is aware and gave me rx for these little gold pills - they don't help.....
Jan

catdander
Hi Jan and welcome to Grace.

Hi Jan and welcome to Grace. So glad to know you're out some time from surgery and doing well except for the cough (which I don't mean to minimalism). Are the little gold pills tesslon pearls (benzonatate)? They are easily taken with little to no side effects but only work for some people and always worth a try. Let the surgeon know they aren't working so you can move on for results. A cough is one of the top reasons all people seek help from physicians. Here is a blog post from one of our faculty on the subject. I don't have cancer but about 3 years ago I caught pertussis and a lingering sometimes nasty cough remains that is very difficult to manage. I still hope to come across a fix for mine and hope yours is just a matter of healing, 4 weeks isn't really all that long. http://cancergrace.org/cancer-treatments/2009/05/09/managing-cough/

Janine

janwoodward
Janine,

Janine,
Thank you so much for your response. I also read the informative post you recommended – I appreciate that too...
I'm sorry to here you have had a cough for so long. I do hope you find relief some day.
And yes, the little pills are the pearls benzonatate. I have had a bit of a cough since my first P.E. two years ago , but this is non stop. I will be calling my surgeon today. I also have an appointment with my pulmonologist in a week.
This is my sixth major surgery and the second in 9 months. I had many complications after the last surgery. So I'm pretty much a pro at the surgery thing! Sorry to make such a big deal about the cough it's just so darn annoying... I guess in the back of my mind I will always worry about getting another P.E. & Coughing is a symptom. I'm sure it's ok though, as I had an IVC filter placement prior to my surgery and I'm back on my xarelto.
Janine, you have a place in my heart as well as all who are caregivers or family members of the ones who need you the most. I was on the other end a few years back. I feel so blessed that I was able to care for my dear grandmother, she had bone mets. She taught me so much in her life and dying. Then for years I was a caregiver for seniors. And now my husband of 40 years who is not by nature a caregiver type has become a very good caregiver. He is the most positive person I have ever known – he is my happy friend. And my two beautiful daughters are such a strength to me.
Thank you for listening to me... no matter how trivial...
Jan

catdander
Thanks Jan for the kind words

Thanks Jan for the kind words. I hope this is the last surgery for you, it sounds like you've had your share. Let us know how the follow up goes and take care.

Janine