Needle biopsy and too much radiation? - 1250074

ranger

I had a needle biopsy on Tuesday. I had a minimum of 8 CT scans and 3 chest x-rays. I am feeling very fatigued and I am wondering if I may have gotten radiation sickness?

Forums

Dr West

There are many potential reasons for fatigue, and the radiation in several CT scans isn't enough to cause radiation sickness. I don't think there's any direct relationship.

-Dr. West

certain spring

Hi ranger. Congratulations on your great results with Tarceva, and hope you are feeling well other than the fatigue.
I find scans very tiring - just the stress of it, going to the hospital and so forth. I've never had a needle biopsy but I imagine that too would be quite an ordeal. As for the radiation, some people do report feeling tired and unwell afterwards. I hope you feel better soon.
My lung nurse recently suggested that the amount of radiation from a CT is the same I would receive on a transatlantic flight (I'm in Britain).
By the way, your profile's not showing up in the forums, so here it is:

Diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer on August 27, 2011. Have EGFR 19 mutation. Started Tarceva October 1, 2011. First CT Scan showed dramatic reduction in size and numbers of nodules. Second Scan showed "stable".

ranger

Certain Spring, Thanks for the info on my profile. I wonder why it doesn't come up? Got any idea on how to make it come up? I added to my profile. I was stable, but after the latest CT in August came up stable, I got a second opinion from a lung cancer oncologist and he stated that I was not stable! Had I not gone out and gotten the second opinion I would still be thinking that I am stable! That is why I just had the needle biopsy so that they can do more testing for mutations, etc.
I have learned from this that everyone should have a second opinion!

catdander
H Ranger, Welcome.

Copy your updated bio and paste it in your "forum profile".
Click on your username, ranger, to the left of your posts to access your forum profile,
"edit your signature" /paste in your bio there.

I'm sorry you're no longer stable. However it's not necessarily such bad news either. There really is quite a lot of promising clinical research and practices going on. Depending on how much and where the progressing is it may be best to continue as is. Many doctors find a very slow growing cancer that isn't causing problems is as good as stable. No matter what the less than miraculous news is of course it is all very shocking,. But I think it's very possible to find this news is OK.

certain spring

I'm sorry - that must have been a real blow.
Glad you are having further mutation tests though - as Janine says, this is a big area of research right now. Very best.

ranger

Thank you everyone for your positive comments! I know there is still hope out there, just don't know what the next move is going to be and I am a little anxious out it.