Stage 3b adenocarcinoma - 1265697

wkay0210

My roommate has been diagnosed with stage 3b adenocarcinoma of the lung. He cannot have surgery or radiation so chemo is his only option. He also has diabetes, emphysema, copd, and heart disease. He is 64 years old and is on oxygen 24/7. Can anyone help me with what the survival odds are for him? He is getting ready to go thru round 2 of chemo and is still extremely weak and sick from the first round. Thank you for any help and insight anyone can give me.

Forums

Dr West

I'm afraid we can't provide any meaningful details to someone we don't know and care for directly, but unfortunately chemotherapy alone is not curative therapy for stage 3B adenocarcinoma of the lung. The goal of the chemo is to improve survival, and some patients will leave a year or years with treatment. However, patients who are already sick with many medical issues tend to do less well. His doctor(s) would be better able to provide clarification, but I'm sorry to say that based on what you're conveying, cure is not a realistic goal and survival may well be limited to months.

Good luck.

-Dr. West