Tarceva and CVA - 1247605

hopeforlife

My mom has been on Tarceva 150mg since January 2009 (Stage IV, NSCLC adeno, EGFR+). Her cancer has progressed, but the oncologist has kept her on it. She was recently on Alimta as well starting January 2012, was given a small 3 month break and will resume it this Friday (all the while still taking Tarceva and Arimidex for her breast cancer history). Last week my mom had a small stroke with no real lasting damage aside from slower speech. EKG, ECHO, chest xray, MRI, MRA didn't show any real reason why she had the stroke. The ER doctors were suggesting that Tarceva could lead to stroke and to discuss the possibility of coming off of it. I am wondering how typical strokes occur with Tarceva? I am afraid coming off of it all together will make the cancer grow rapidly. Has anyone else experienced CVA with Tarceva, and how likely will Tarceva cause another stroke?

Thank you so much in advance!

Forums

catdander
Hi Hope, I'm so sorry to read about your mom's stroke. I've never heard of that before. Of course your not asking me and I'll ask a doctor to comment on your question. I hope she doesn't need to come off tarceva. But if she does remember there are other options to which she is likely predisposed to reacting favorably.
Janine
forum moderator

certain spring

hopeforlife - Without meaning any disrespect to your mother's ER doctors, I doubt they are up to speed with the side-effects of Tarceva, so I would not worry until you have had chapter and verse from an oncologist. I have never heard of strokes as a potential problem - although lung cancer itself carries an increased risk of blood clots, which can lead to strokes.
Just to give an example of the general confusion on this subject, I have had the peculiar experience of being put in isolation because the (young, nervous) ER doctors were convinced that Tarceva was a form of chemotherapy and I might be neutropenic (it isn't and I wasn't). So hang onto your hat until you hear from the experts. Hope your mother is feeling better.

Dr West

Yes, frankly I agree with certain spring here. I would be very curious to know what their evidence is for saying that Tarceva (erlotinib) is associated with a significantly increased incidence of a stroke. There are a great many things that an ER doctor would know better than an oncologist, but that isn't one of them, and frankly I suspect that there is absolutely no good evidence to support that comment.

Sometimes doctors say things to sound erudite or as a pretense to support what they really want to convey (they may question that the ongoing Tarceva is providing benefit after progression, and it costs someone $5K/month, perhaps also associated with other annoying side effects), but that particular warning is not well founded.

Dr. West