So many times I've started to post here, but haven't been sure what to ask until today. Here's the full story.
Upon my father's diagnosis of NSCLC with rib, hip, back, brain, liver and kidney metastasis (06/05/16) he began his chemo treatment with radiation on his brain and rib. At first he was very responsive. Within two months of chemo, he was almost back to his normal self. He'd put on weight, was off the oxygen and was even back to volunteering at the Air Force base. We were so full of hope.
Then, the chemo stopped working. The oncologist put him on Immunotherapy (Tecentriq). As soon as he started the treatment, he lost his appetite/weight, became very weak and slept a lot. These all seemed like side effects of the treatment. However, 10 days ago, a new scan confirmed that the treatment wasn't working and that the tumors were growing and multiplying. His oncologist said that the next course of treatment would be to radiate the 2 new tumors on his brain, and then start a new chemo/immuno combo treatment.
Unfortunately, 4 days later the home nurse worried that he had contracted pneumonia and called the paramedics to take him to the hospital. While in the hospital, the doctor said he wasn't kicking pneumonia, increasing became weaker (couldn't sit up or get out of bed) and was in a LOT of pain. The doctor said he probably only had a couple of months and recommended Hospice. We contacted his oncologist who confirmed that Hospice in-patient was the best course of action. Trusting they knew best, we decided today to make the move, with the hope that they would take the best care and get him home
WE were all let down by Hospice and feel that we made the wrong choice. How do we know if we are giving up or doing what's right? I live in Amsterdam but will stay with my mom in Dayton, OH to care for my father if we thought it was the best, but I don't know if we can provide for him enough. He needs full time care. How do we know where to go now?