Enlarged lymph node...biopsy done and scared - 1272775

merilee

Adenocarcinoma stage 2A. Surgery 6/15 removal of tumor.
Upper left lobe wedge resection.
Chemo after surgery x4 9/15
Scan 11/15. All ok watching some nodes
Scan 1/16 due to pain
Biopsy just done cancer back in lymph nodes in chest
Around treac and bronchial not spelled right...

So soon after chemo ? Drs don't know why I am so scared
Can't stop.crying..don't know what will happen now, what the plan or outcome
Will be..don't have a support group only online so I need some input.
Anyone have there cancer come back in lymph nodes
Outcomes, treatment etc..I am so scared any input would be appreciated.

Thank you. MM

Forums

catdander
Hi MM,

I'm so sorry. I wan't you to know we're here for you to answer questions. Might it still be considered curable? I 2nd opinion would be in order if to only second what the first onc says about next steps. This is a point at which you want to know as much as possible to make the next move. This is an important post I know you'll find helpful, http://cancergrace.org/cancer-101/2011/11/13/an-insiders-guide-to-the-s…

Best of luck,
Janine

dorie4

My diagnosis is quite different from yours, but my recent nivolumab followup scan showed slightly enlarged mid-chest lymphs too. I don't know how much larger than normal your lymphs are, but my oncol. was not too concerned about mine. She said that enlarged lymph nodes do not always indicate cancer progression; it could be slight infection or, in my case, immune response.

I know that a biopsy can be scary and I don't want to minimize the possibility that it could be mets. If that's the case, it looks like you've caught it very early and there should be effective treatment.

Have you and your docs considered treatment with nivolumab or other immunotherapy? I'm very pleased with it so far -- minimal side effects and good response. The main tumors are stable and one met has disappeared altogether! This is pretty remarkable, considering how aggressive my cancers are.

My experience may or may not be relevant to you, but I'm sending all good vibes for your fears to ease and your treatment to be thoroughly effective.

Dorie

cards7up

When they did the resection, did they test the lymph nodes? Getting a second opinion is a good idea especially at a top rated cancer center. Take care, Judy

merilee

Thank you for responses, talked with oncologist, plan is radiation for 5weeks
Every day, along with low dose chemo 1day a week for the 5 weeks.waiting for
a call from radiation sonic, then have to decide on second opinion, and if I want
to do treatment in Virgina where sister lives, she is a nurse and hospital is two blocks away. I am in Wisconsin and concerned about being to sick
Or the weather being to bad to drive ??Will have to see Adams i want to this all
Started...? Re: they had checked nodes during surgery one node was
Positive. The clean up chemo after surgery must have missed the 2 nodes that
we're found in chest..Considered so local reocurance. Same sideboard the
Tumor was. ......

catdander
My thoughts are with you Merilee and positive hopes for you. I understand the decision making process is very difficult but know too that the decision you make will be the right one. My sister is a nurse as well and I always get such good care from her. Keep us posted.

Janine

dorie4

My thoughts and hopes are with you too, Merilee, and hope you'll let us know how things progress.

dorie

lalexander71

MM,
My husband just had surgery by a Thoracic Surgeon who took out the Lymphnodes in the Chest Mediasinoscopy- and the next phase of surgery will be to remove the upper lobe of the lung and tumor.

Have you by chance spoken with a Thoracic Surgeon and taken him your PET scans, MRI's, Chest CT? I hope I am not jumping in the middle, but I wondered when they went in to take the tumor out- how come they did not remove those lymph nodes also?

Our Thoracic surgeon said biopsy the lymphnodes first, and then the tumor removal. I am worried about if the cancer was in the lymphnodes- if it was, what is the next steps for my hubby. I still think take the tumor out and ressect his nerves that have been damaged, and then we do another flush of chemo.

LD

merilee

LD. Thank you for your reply, I had surgery 6/15 a wedge resection where
the tumor and 7 lymph nodes were removed one of the 7 was positive. The reason I did not have entire lobe etc was :/ I had some copd and if more was removed , I may have had to be put on o2 the rest of my life .o
I was told reccurance was not that much more likely with only the wedge resection. So as I said I had the tumor and nodes removed
Followed by chemo 4rounds almita/cispatin I think
To kill any cells that may be floating around, which obviously it didn't. So now
On CT it showed enlarged lymph nodes in chest ,gbiopsy said cancer. Dr
is very surprised. Now seeing radiation oncologist next week to talk about
Radiation and low dose chemo again...it is a local recurrence on same side
as tumor was... Dr said still stage 2A....so now I worry about radiation and having to go through chemo again just finushed it 9/15.
Will keep you all posted....thank you all for your support..