have the shingles , does iv chemo need to be delayed? - 1293716

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
kempten
have the shingles , does iv chemo need to be delayed? - 1293716

Hello to all

I had the 4th of 6 carbo/alimta treatments and just developed the shingles. I'm taking 1 gram of
Valacyclovir three times a day for 7 days.

I'm wondering about weather my 5th chemo should be delayed ?
Since there is always the danger of postherpatic neuralgia and other complications of the virus entering the brain and other organs , could continuing chemo raise the likelihood of developing these complications ?

What do you usually do in these cases where your patients develop shingles during therapy?

Thanks for your answer

Kempten

JimC
Hi Kempten,

Hi Kempten,

I'm sorry to hear of your latest complication, and I hope it doesn't last too long. In this context, Dr. Pinder stated "Shingles can be a difficult problem in patients on chemotherapy. In patients with metastatic disease, I will usually hold chemotherapy if a shingles outbreak is underway." - http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=6694.msg47114#msg47114

JimC
Forum moderator

<p>I began visiting GRACE in July, 2008 when my wife Liz was diagnosed with lung cancer, and became a forum moderator in January, 2010. My beloved wife of 30 years passed away Nov. 4, 2011 after battling stage IV lung cancer for 3 years and 4 months</p>

kempten
thank you Jim

thank you Jim
I'm happy to hear this.

Kempten