What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger - 1293720

simone22

I saw a music video with a focus on "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." It got me thinking. I used to believe this was true but now I just don't know.

I mean, looking back on the struggle I've gone through to help my mom with her cancer, yes - there's truth in this cliche. One must never give up, no matter how hard it becomes. As long as you're alive, you have to fight. No matter what. On the other hand, it's much harder to cling to those words when we're in the thick of an issue.

But that's just my humble opinion. So, what are your thoughts on this? Do you agree or disagree?

Take care!

Forums

simone22

Hello all of you lovely warriors!

My name is Simone and I'm so excited to find this great forum! I'd love to connect with anyone who went through this bad part of life and hopefully, share some experience.

I am 22y old and my mom was diagnosed with cancer that has pretty much spread throughout her entire breasts.

Have you ever had one of those bad dreams where it feels like you are trying to wake yourself up? Sure you did. That's how I feel right now. Like I'm drowning. All of this feels surreal, I'm still pretty much in shock I guess. But at the same time I've never been so scared in my entire life.

They started chemo right away and she has already lost her thick long locks of hair. Ugh.
But, the hope remains, I think. As long as she's alive, we're gonna fight this thing to the end.

I'm exploring natural solutions, testing them with my mom and we've already found some pretty interesting stuff, so fingers crossed. I'll share my findings and updates here, and hopefully someone will benefit from my findings.

If anyone here feels compelled to talk to me, please do. I'd love to chat with you.

Take care and never, ever lose hope!

Yours truly :)

catdander
Simone,

It's hard to envision the future effects struggle will have on you when you're in the thick of it. Thinking back on the time just after my mom died and my husband was diagnosed it's hard to remember the feeling of having no real control and being sad and anxious. Now that you mention it I guess that was a driving force behind everything I did. Looking back I don't know where I got the energy. I just wanted to make things as easy and safe as possible for my husband.

I think the idea of being stronger has to do with the new understandings you walk away with. It's like being older and wiser. I learned a new understanding of hope but I knew it when I saw it back then. It was like the proverbial "light bulb" going off. For me hope became something that I don't summon but something I can't shake off. There used to be a member named Simon. He was dying of lung cancer and I and the rest of the Grace community became friends. It was after I came to my conclusion about hope that he said, there is always something to be hopeful for. And others int he community touched on the idea of hope being innate to so many of us.
I came to a deeper understanding that I can't understand what it's like to be dying. Reading the descriptions of feelings and struggles of those who were dying and understanding that it's terrifying for them, all of them. Knowing that there is a "them". Maybe it's about learning that you just aren't going to understand an awful lot that you thought you were going to learn as you got older and accepting it.

I think you learn by living and when there is struggle there is more coming at you to learn and knowledge is power. Power, strength.

That's what I think...today. Tomorrow is another day and I might think differently.

It's just frigging hard when you're caring for someone you love and they're so sick. It's a lot and I hope you take focused steps to take care of yourself.

Janine

catdander
Hope, just what I was talking about. It sounds like you're feeling pretty typical which is amazing given you feel you're in a surreal world. How about lets keep this conversation to one post. I'm going to merge this post with another of yours. Hope that's ok.