My dad has a non small cell squamous tumor on the upper left lobe of his lung. This is the second flare up in the area after a previous radiation treatment (33) with a follow up of chemo. The new flare up is close to a main vessel in the Lund that the oncologist says that there is a 1 in 10 chance of rupture within the first month after treatment. The plan is to do 8 high dose treatments with high risk side affects. Loss of left arm function, dead tissue that will have to be eventually surgically removed, and the blood vessel rupture being the worst. We are having difficulty deciding to go with the high risk because of the vessel risk. Other option is 15 low dose and chemo follow up. Have you heard of this vessel rupture? I guess we are facing taking risks to buy more time, which may end life earlier if the vessel ruptures, or low dose low risk and having less time. Or my dad is considering doing nothing because the end result is the same regardless. If he does nothing, we were told that the cancer will most likely rupture the vessel when it invades that area...it is quite close already. I was just wondering if you have heard of this happening, decision making is very difficult at this moment.
Thank you for your time-