hospice with abenocarcinoma - 1255107

toneydon

I have been in hospice for 3 months and am feeling quite well.
Can this type cancer suddenly stop progressing?

Forums

JimC

Hi toneydon,

It's wonderful that you are feeling so well. The number one rule about cancer is that anything can happen. As Dr. West has said:

" Adenocarcinomas (of the lung, or elsewhere) can be quite slow-growing, and many of the slowest growing lung cancers are in the subset of adenocarcinoma known as bronchioloalveolar carcinoma, but it’s probably more accurate to say that the growth rate of adenocarcinoma is quite variable. Some are pretty aggressive, and I don’t actually consider most adenocarcinomas to be particularly slow-growing (maybe just average).

A cancer can change its growth rate over time, following a different pattern at some point in the progression of the cancer, but that’s really unpredictable. Many don’t change their pace much over time.

Sorry that so many of the answers about cancer are “it’s possible”, but in truth, we see all sorts of patterns with cancer." - http://cancergrace.org/lung/topic/dad-stage-iv-nsclc/page/4/#post-12268

I hope you continue to feel well for a long, long time!

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

If you're doing very well, it would be reasonable to speak with your oncologist to reassess both the clinically situation and the status of your cancer with some repeat imaging. We don't necessarily do repeat scans on people on hospice care, but it's reasonable if there's a clinically relevant question being asked, such as whether it's really appropriate for someone to continue to be on hospice.

-Dr. West

certain spring

Good for you, and long may it last. Sometimes our bodies defy doctors' expectations.
Did your oncologist consider mutation testing? Might be worth asking about. Very best.