Lung cancer mets to Adrenal Gland? - 1262357

gigy

I had Lung Adenocarcinoma, stage 2a. Half of left lung removed, 4 rounds of Alimta every 3 weeks.
i was clear for almost 2 years. i am active and healthy.
Last week, i went in for abdominal CT to determine what cause my recent stomach ache-like pain, where they found a 4cm swollen Adrenal gland on the right side of kidney. it seems unrelated to my symptom.
The Onc is very suspicious of that is the primary cancer mets to adrenal gland. Possibility? Common?
Biopsy was suggest, is this the right track to follow.?
Thank you very much.
Gigy

Forums

JimC

Hi Gigy,

Dr. Pinder has discussed this issue previously:

"...the adrenal is a common site of lung cancer metastasis, it is also a common site of benign tumors. If the adrenal is the only site that makes a patient stage IV (therefore, ineligible for curative treatment), I will usually biopsy it so that the patient is treated appropriately." - http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=2147.msg12775#msg12775

A biopsy would be the only way to try to determine if the swollen adrenal gland represents cancer.

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

I would say that in the face of an established change and a newly enlarged adrenal gland, it's appropriate to be very suspicious of metastatic disease and to want to confirm that with a biopsy before moving to planned next steps. As the comments from Dr. Pinder highlight, the adrenal glands are a common area to see metastases from lung cancer, but they can also have nodules for reasons unrelated to cancer.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

gigy

Thank you very much Dr. West and JimC.
i will report to you after Biopsy (or MRI/CT) in 2 weeks. Looks like its high possibility of mets from lung.
Hope for the best, expect for the worse!
Thanks again,
have a nice day.
Gigy

gigy

The PET scan shows the cell has metastatic to other places in addition to adrenal gland.
No biopsy for now, will wait for the EGFR to determine the treatment.
My disappointment is why no one sees it on the 12/3/13 CT scan. In less than 3 months, the suspected tumor size is 2.4cmx3cm, isn't it unusually fast growing?
This is what scares me the most, too fast!
gigy

JimC

Hi gigy,

It's hard to say why it didn't show up on the CT, but the important thing is how you respond to the next treatment regimen. As Dr. West is fond of saying "responders respond" and with almost two years of clear scans you responded well to earlier treatment, so hopefully you will do well with your upcoming treatments.

Good luck!

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

Yes. Three months is a long enough interval that I think it's hard to say much. I don't think that the growth is remarkably fast, and as Jim noted, the overwhelmingly important factor is whether the cancer responds to treatment. People with a fast growing cancer can still do very well if their cancer responds to treatment.

Good luck.

-Dr. West