MY husband passed away after three year stable NSCLC after having SBRT operatio - 1245981

porseh

HI,everyone ,specially this valued site responsible oncologist..during past three years ,sometimes I refer to your site and gots useful information.but now Iam writing to inform you that my loved one husband passed away on8th july ,and now we are remained with lot of sadness , he had adenocarcinoma locally advanced since 2009 and after chemo,was under treatment with TARCEVA.BUT RECENTLY after progression,we decided to do SBRT with rapid arc technic in NEO-LIFE centre in Turkey .The operation was performed with Varian true beam STX .AND 54 GY in three fraction .his LUNG was irradiated with 5 NON-COPLANAR beam.Right after operation the side effects was started.and sever pneumonities first in right lung appeared,while the new lession <3 cm was in LLL. The treatment was not effective and after trying all type of antibiotic also start of anti fungi all treatment failed and after facing 15 day painful treatment he passed away,AND i remained with two may questions which could not be answered . so it should be emphasised that some times misguiding by clinical persons or bad operation AND mistreatment only cause speeding up dyeing time.SO,if this innovations are useful ,the elligible centre to be introduced by responsible authority and procedure for selection of elligible patient to be performed correctly.

Forums

catdander
Porseh, I'm saddened to hear of all this. Lung cancer is such a difficult disease to manage and all too often ends before we realize it's time to stop treatment. Yours is the worst kind of cautionary tale but you are so right about knowing your medical team.

I hope you find peace,
Janine

Dr West

I also want to say how sorry I am for his recent death. I wish that we had a better ability to predict how a cancer will proceed and how well our treatments will work. We know as we offer them that some, whether chemo or targeted therapies or radiation or surgery or clinical trials, will help some people, offer no real benefit to others, and even harm some. We just make the best decisions we can based on the imperfect knowledge we have at the time, as we hope not to beat ourselves up for decisions that are easy to second guess in hindsight.

Again, please accept my condolences.

-Dr. West