Non small cell lung cancer squamous cell with mets to hip, liver - 1254807

min1cleo

General question...

2 rounds of carbo/taxol lost use of hands due to neuropathy. Change to gemzar/carbo 1 week, gemzar next week. 2 treatments.

All chemo failed. Tumors grew. Chose no radiation.

Life expectancy?

Forums

Dr West

I'm very sorry you're in this situation, and I'm also sorry that I can't give you a real answer to your fair question. I don't mean to be evasive, but there are just too many variables to give a prognosis based on so little real information. Median survival, the point at which half of patients in a group remain alive and half half died, is about 8-10 months for a broad group of people newly diagnosed with advanced lung cancer (though importantly, this is with a broad range from a few weeks to many years). If this is metastatic lung cancer that hasn't ever responded to chemo and grew readily through it, my best vague estimate would be something like 2-4 months, but that's really a shot in the dark. This is a question that is far more appropriate for the doctors directly involved in your care, who would be in a far better position to provide a meaningful answer.

-Dr. West

certain spring

min1cleo, assuming this is you or someone you love, these are very hard things to hear. If you feel like it please tell us more so we can offer you support. Losing the use of your hands must have been an awful blow.
Good luck with the carbo/gemzar. As for the radiation, it's been a great help to me (and I'm a fellow chemo-failer). Best wishes.

min1cleo

Hi,

I appreciate the replies. I was actually speaking of my husband. He passed away on Feb. 10th.

I really think it just spread so fast that nothing would have stopped it. He did spend 2 days in the hospital the first of feb for pain control. Got that under control and brought him home.

When he lost the use of his hands from the chemo it was really bad, he didn't was to do anymore chemo, but he did do the 2 treatments of the gemzar/carbo combo. Had a scan after those treatments. Tumors grew and hip destroyed. (that is what was causing the pain)

We were told he would have maybe a year at dx in Oct 12. I know that no one knows, only the Good Lord. He only had a day or so of extreme pain. Then was good.

He passed peacefullly and I was with him.

I am grateful for that, just trying to understand how it happened so fast.

I wish you all the best.

marisa93

I am very sorry for your loss and can understand the need for more info. My husband passed away from NSCLC exactly one year after his DX. Looking back I realize how lucky we were to get that year as when his LC was found it had already spread to his liver and brain. When things were really bad the week he passed away I was very confused by what was happening because I thought we still had more time. He had seemed to be doing so well and everyone remarked on how good he looked that it came as a shock when he went downhill so quickly. My 3 kids and I were with him as he passed peacefully and were glad his suffering was over but it left questions because we were not prepared for it when the cancer turned so aggressive so quick. I second guessed treatment choices, etc but I now realize that we could not have done anything any better or differently to change the outcome. I hope you will soon find that same peace. My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time.

Take care,
Lisa

laya d.

min1cleo:

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am very very sorry for your loss. During my time here at GRACE, I have learned that cancer can be very unpredictable, and sometimes things go from bad to worse very quickly. I hope you find the answers you are seeking (or already have found them)...and I wish you peace.

Take care of yourself,
Laya