update on my mom - 1265461

malki13

So I have learned an incredible amount of things related to cancer that I never knew and never thought I would have to.

That said...we met with the oncologist at Sloan. Young guy, I expect him to be a huge success in this field. He basically said that they didnt remove the lobe but the large tumor was resected and that there is "a little" cancer left. My mom being 86 and recovering very well...she is still a llttle unsteady on her feet...regaining her strength and the anesthesia from 8 weeks ago is still around and so the doctor did not recommend chemo. Her heart disease and recent surgery both reasons. He discussed the risks versus benefits. We were very much in agreement. He did say in a stronger person he would recommend treatment and so that scared me but here's the twist

Moms pulmonologist with a specialty in cancer who found her tumor 12 years ago, and now this doctor have both said that historically this cancer has been very slow growing and that if he were to rank the threat of it he would rank it second to her heart disease ( which is very much under control)...blood pressure well managed..pacemaker, 4 stents and bypass over the years...the surgery was the worst offender to her health so far. (my opinion) He said "who has cancer for 12 years/" my cute mom asked "is this unusal?" he said yes...you're very special. I asked about the kras and he said yes kras has a very bad reputation but it is well behaved in her case. (is this unusual?) I asked if he thought this was pneumonic bac and he said he does not think so. She is not having the chest wall pain or any pain that he considered "symptoms" of cancer no frothy sputum in fact no sputum like she used to for years.. oxygen and lungs are clear. He will follow up with a ct scan in October and monitor very closely.

I know Dr West caught this indolent idea first....I have to say we were thrilled but at the same time its not easy to know you have a cancer in you and not treat it. Thoughts?
Malki

Forums

Dr West

As you said, my very first comment was that any cancer that takes that long to progress needs to be treated as a special case, which may well mean NOT treating it.

I do understand that there is a temptation to treat, but I think that reflexive anxiety is not a good reason to accept a treatment that is felt as unnecessary and likely not helpful.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

Dr West

As you said, my very first comment was that any cancer that takes that long to progress needs to be treated as a special case, which may well mean NOT treating it.

I do understand that there is a temptation to treat, but I think that reflexive anxiety is not a good reason to accept a treatment that is felt as unnecessary and likely not helpful.

Good luck.

-Dr. West