Adeno changing to squamous? - 1289089

niftyd

My first tissue biopsy showed adeno with exon19 mutation. A year later another tissue biopsy shows squamous. Anyone else have this happen and what treatment did you use?

Forums

catdander
Hi niftyd,

It's not that unusual to have mixed adeno/squamous nsclc. It's very possible you've had both all along and one biopsy tissue showed one then another biopsy picked up the other. It's also found that an adeno changed after doing well on an egfr targeted tki like tarceva, however it's probably not as common as having both to begin with.

If the tki is still working or even if you've progressed in just on or two spots while the rest of the cancer is stable then remaining on the tarceva is very appropriate. If there is just one or 2 places of progression, now known as oligo-progression oncologists increasingly prefer to treat progression with local therapy like sbrt and return to tarceva after local treatment.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck,
Janine

niftyd

Thank you Janine. I do have progression but in more than two spots and in the brain. A blood biopsy showed some T790M so I'm now on Tagrisso. That's good to know about the local treatment. I have asked my onc about this and he says my cancer is too generalized to do radiation on just one spot. Based on my upcoming scan results, I may push the local treatment if it looks like a good option.

catdander
Right. When cancer progresses in a generalized manner it's believed that local treatment doesn't add any benefit but does add side effects. It's great to hear you're now on tagrisso. I hope you do very well!

All best,
Janine