blood thinners during chemo/radiation and beyond - 1271081

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
healmymom
blood thinners during chemo/radiation and beyond - 1271081

I have read how cancer increases the chance of blood clots, which have the possibility then of moving to the lungs, but due to the possible side effects of anti-coagulants, most oncologists don't prescribe anti-coagulant medicine for their patients.

Does chemo/radiation increase the change of clotting? Is it safe to take a 325 mg. aspirin daily to prevent clotting or what does is considered safe?

JimC
Hi healmymom,

Hi healmymom,

Dr. Weiss wrote an extensive discussion of blood clots in lung cancer here. As he stated:

"It makes great sense to try low doses of blood thinners in lung cancer patients who have never had a clot and it is has been tried. So far, there’s no great evidence that this is the right thing to do. So, as a patient, I recommend keeping mobile, keeping hydrated, and watching out for leg swelling. And, as I was pretty frank about above, I believe that the best prevention against a new clot in a patient who has already had one is lifelong, full-dose anticoagulation, ideally with lovenox or a similar agent."

I don't know how effective a daily aspirin would be to prevent clots: many doctors have moved away from recommending it, and in a patient receiving chemo I would be concerned about it exacerbating the gastrointestinal side effects of chemo.

JimC
Forum moderator

<p>I began visiting GRACE in July, 2008 when my wife Liz was diagnosed with lung cancer, and became a forum moderator in January, 2010. My beloved wife of 30 years passed away Nov. 4, 2011 after battling stage IV lung cancer for 3 years and 4 months</p>