Crizotinib and low albumin - 1274323

fanos

My daughter has been tested ROS1 positive for NSCLC and has been taking Crizotinib for 10 weeks. Recent scans (CT and bone) show slight progression in the liver and possible new spots on her bones (spine and ribs) but the cancer in lung and nodes appears stable or even smaller. Her blood work shows high LDH and low albumin. Is this reason to believe the Crizotinib is not effective? Is it possible that the ROS1 detection was false positive? The testing was performed on paraffin embedded biopsy tissue by fluorescence in situ hybridization. 100% of the cells were positive for ROS1 gene rearrangement.

Forums

JimC

Hi fanos,

I don't know that I would make a connection between the low albumin and Crizotinib ineffecacy. As Dr. West has said:

"It may well be that crizotinib is actually associated with and directly causes a decrease in albumin levels, but it hasn’t been identified yet. Low albumin levels are common enough in cancer — especially mildly decreased albumin — that this doesn’t really set off alarm bells. And patients don’t rush to the emergency room for low albumin levels… while the side effects that cause visits to the ER tend to be the ones that get more attention." - http://cancergrace.org/lung/topic/low-albumin-levels/#post-10378

JimC
Forum moderator

cards7up

What is her doctor saying? If he/she is concerned, then they'll let her know and take action. Paraffin embedded tissue can be used for ROS1 testing. With liver mets, those levels can continue to rise.
Take care, Judy
P.S I am not a medical professional but a lung cancer survivor.

cards7up

Sorry, what I should have said is that those levels can change due to the active cancer and progression.
Take care, Judy