EGFR biopsy in SCLC - 1244918

warriorprincess

As a never smoker and very minimal passive smoker, I had a biopsy a month or so ago to test for EGFR.

Results are in, and are negative. Certainly the expected result but disappointing nevertheless.

But I'm glad the oncologist agreed to do the test... I felt it was important to at least investigate the option, given that I havent even had a puff of a cigarette.

So, in terms of what could have caused this, I'm thinking asbestos is the most likely cause. Radon isnt an issue in Australia, but my dad used to burn building materials with asbestos in them when we had bonfires. when I was young.

But I guess its all speculation, and wont change how we proceed. But it would be nice to know....

Forums

JimC

warriorprincess,

Sorry about the negative EGFR result. We went through a similar thought process. My wife, a never smoker, was EGFR positive. She was exposed to significant second hand smoke, but the EGFR status seemed to make that not as likely a cause. Our house tested negative for radon, so it was impossible to know what might have caused her cancer. Just another of the many frustrations this disease causes.

JimC
Forum Moderator