Lung nodules shrinking on own - 1262425

sexy

I was windering if it's possible to have lung nodules show up on a scan twice with some growth and then the third scan show some shrinking still be cancer? My oncologist doesnt seem too concerned about these nodules because of one shrinking. they all range in the 11mm to 5mm range. there is also what he calls a fuzzy / cloudy look to the whole area as well. i do have asthma and take a high dose of advair and one singular daily along with nose spray. alergies have also been an issue most my adult life. should i be concerned here and maybe get a second opinion or wait it out until the fourth scan is done sometime in july 2014? any information would be greatly appriciated.. thanks from the bottom of my heart....pem

Forums

sexy

sorry just read the forum guidlines and may have crossed the line with my questions. not sure but hope i can get some words of wisdom from anyone. im not even sure if im in the right section to even ask questions...pem :)

JimC

Hello,

Welcome to GRACE. It is certainly uncharacteristic of lung cancer nodules to shrink in the absence of treatment. These are small nodules, and 11mm is on the edge of what could even be biopsied, so a "watch and wait" approach is common. Assuming that your three scans have occurred over the course of a number of months and there are no new nodules appearing, it seems likely that even if this is cancer it is quite indolent. Although no one here can tell you whether you should or shouldn't get a second opinion, another set of eyes interpreting your scans and medical history is never a bad thing, and if your current doctor's assessment is confirmed, it may provide you with some peace of mind that you're on the right path.

JimC
Forum moderator

JimC

I meant to include these references as well:

Dr. West has previously said:

"A cancer has to grow faster than the tissue around it to become a tumor. Progressive growth is therefore a central feature of a cancer and a critical factor in distinguishing cancerous nodules from benign ones." - http://cancergrace.org/lung/2007/11/12/lung-nodule-doubling-time/

In addition, you may find his post on "Imaging Features of Nodules" helpful: http://cancergrace.org/lung/2007/11/10/risk-of-ca-among-spns/

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

Yes, I'd say that seeing one or more of the nodules spontaneously regress or resolve characterizes them as highly "uncancer-like". While it's possible that there are a couple of things going on with the various nodules, I think it makes sense to continue to follow the imaging in the absence of a convincing picture of progression over time.

Good luck.

-Dr. West