Multiple primary cancers - 1262238

shy one

I was dx'd with BAC, Stage IIIA, left upper lobe of lung May 2009. Had cisplatin/etopiside X 2 rounds + 25 days of radiation, followed by hospitalization for dehydration, PE, and multiple organ failures, causing delay in 3rd round and in planned surgery, but surgeon was reluctant to risk removing lung. No change in tumor size. EGFR mutation discovered, started on Tarceva in Jan 2010. Tumors increased in size. Switched to Alimta, no change in tumors. Watched and waited 3 years (no tx.), during which I had surgery and radiation for a new primary thyroid tumor, several cancerous spots. Lung tumors remained stable until fall 2013, when they started increasing. Lobectomy was recommended and done, with wedge resection of lower lobe and removal of many mediastinal lymph nodes, about half of which showed signs of cancer, as did portion of pleura (removed). In preparation for surgery, I received a PET scan, which showed two cancerous lesions in my right breast, confirmed by biopsy (grades 1 & 2 hormone receptor positive, HER-2 negative). Mastectomy with sentinal lymph node examination was recommended, and when my chest drain is removed and I'm more-or-less healed from the lung removal, I will (may) go ahead with this.
Are multiple primary cancers of different types common? Any general comments would be appreciated.

Forums

carrigallen

While its not entirely uncommon to have three or more primary cancers, it can raise some flags. It may be helpful to have a visit with a genetic counselor to discuss screening for hereditary cancer syndromes. It may also be reasonable to discuss lumpectomy with breast radiation, since it seems like in the long-term, the lung cancer may be the bigger problem. Hope this helps.

JimC

Hi Shy One,

Welcome to GRACE. I'm sorry to hear about your lung cancer recurrence and the new breast cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately, multiple primaries (both of different types and the same type) are not at all uncommon. A member of my family also had three primaries of different types.

The only good thing to say about a new primary is that they are more likely to treat and cure, since they are usually discovered at a earlier stage.

Glad to hear that your lung surgery has healed well; good luck with the next surgery.

JimC
Forum moderator

shy one

Thank you, Dr. Creelan and JimC. Genetic counseling is a good suggestion. The radiological oncologist (as well as the breast surgeon and lung oncologist) seem to agree that radiation therapy to my right breast is probably not indicated because I only have a functioning right lung, and that would be in jeopardy. But I like the lumpectomy suggestion and will pursue that alternative. We are all in agreement that the lung cancer is the greater risk.