Progression after 9 months on Tarceva(Erlonat) - 1269106

debasishbose2k

My mother (age 60, never smoker) had been diagnosed with Lung cancer last March(March 2014) . Adenocarcinoma with multiple metastasis (in lungs/bone/liver).
She was given 3 rounds of Chemo (Cisplatin with Pemetrexed) . However PET Scan after the 3 cycles(ended in June) , showed progression of disease.
So she was given a whole brain radio therapy in July as there was brain mets noted in the PET scan results in June. She had an EGFR mutation and so Doctors started on Erlonat after that.
In October , next PET Scan was done and results were better , it showed that the cells have receded. So Doctors confirmed that Tarceva is working and she will continue on that with monitoring every 6 months.
On this April(April 2015) . Next PET SCAN was performed, and this shows disease progression again. So it seems she had got acquired resistance to Tarceva.

Can you please suggest next line of treatment for her ? Does any reason to be hopeful exists.

Forums

catdander
Hi, I'm very sorry your mother is going through this. There has been much promise with 3rd generation TKIs for those with the T790 mutation. This mutation is responsible for most of the resistance found in tarceva however it is still only available through trials. A biopsy needs to be performed to know for sure and to get into most of the trials.

We have several recent videos on the subject. I'm not able to paste links at this time but you can find them on the right side column of your screen marked, "Acquired Resistance Patient Forum Videos". Click it and I believe one of the more useful ones for you can be found in the discussion with Dr. Lecia Sequist, video #3.

Too, immunotherapies in trials now are showing a lot of promise in many types of cancer including nsclc.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions.

Janine

debasishbose2k

Thanks for the Reply Janine . My mother (patient) is currently in India and I am not sure if anyone can help regarding these immunotherapies or Super Tarceva in India . Her oncolgist is recommending another set of Chemo (3 cycles) . I talked to him , regarding the effectiveness when it had not worked for the first time . He mentioned that it would be a different regimen and that's the only established process left now .
Are there any clinical trials in India where she can participate , any guidance is appreciated

catdander
Clinicaltrials.gov has most trials listed around the world, especially those including the larger trials with 3rd gen TKIs and several immunotherapies with pd-1 and pd-l1. The search and modified search allows for selection of country.