Scared and confused - 1271693

dlwcancer

My husband of 27 years was diagnosed May 28th, 2015 with Stage 4 Non small cell lung cancer, adenocarcinoma with numerous metastases to both bone and muscle. In the last 3.5 months we have found out the following: left lung upper lobe 1.7cm (biopsied), L2 and L5 vertebrae (biopsied), left and right adrenal glands (left biopsied), left branchi tube, left and right low anterior neck lymph nodes, numerous retro-peritoneal fat mets, numerous left hylar lymph nodes mets, right posterior paraspinal muscle (biopsied), left infraspinatus muscle (biopsied), right gluteus minimus muscle (biopsied), left supraclavicular lymph nodes, left para-tracheal node, Spleen, right 6th rib, anterior right chest wall, and bilateral renal met. Fortunately no Brain mets. I believe that covers everything. They have done Radiation to the gluteus minimus muscle due to pain and also to the L2 tumor on his spine. He has also had 3 chemo treatments of Pemetrexed and Carboplatin and will have his 4th on Monday. He was on a trial program for MD-3475 but was not chosen to receive the drug, he was then removed from the Trial because of the radiation for his hip. He was in severe pain with his back and radiation on L2 helped with that, the tumor shrunk partially on one side but grew on the other side. The radiation on his hip has relieved his pain there also. He has had severe nausea and vomiting for about 2 months now and has lost almost 40lbs since the end of May. So far the chemo has stabilized or shrunk thing minimally. Because of the extensive places he has cancer he has 4 oncologists at MD Anderson in Houston monitoring all of this. He also has none of the known mutations except TP53. PD1 is negative. How do we have hope when even the doctors don't?

Forums

catdander
Hi dlwtexas,

I'm so sorry about your husband. I can imagine how difficult this is for you. Hope brings on a new meaning when your love is dying. It sounds like your immediate hope lies with the doublet carbo/alimta decreasing the tumors.

Nausea is best treated when given 2 or 3 types of meds. Palonosetron (Aloxi) is usually given during infusion, Ondansetron is given on a scheduled basis (before feeling nauseous and another like promethazine is taken as needed. All 3 are needed sometimes and it's important to be given as prescribed. Ask your husband's onc or onc nurse if your husband is getting this right. I used to wake my husband to take the anti-nausea pill in him before he had to get up so it had time to work while he was still laying in bed.

Hope comes in many forms and for the moment your husband's comfort of body and mind are very important and a good place to hold the hope. I hope you have support as well.

All the best of hopes,
Janine

dlwcancer

Thank you, it's even overwhelming when I read it. I think we have finally gotten a handle on his nausea I went over what he was taking and he really wasn't taken them a the correct times. The last couple of days have been much better for him.

catdander
It's so good to hear your husband is feeling better. It can make so much difference. Happy faces.

Janine