I don't know how I happened upon this site but I am so grateful that it exists. I fear that the speed at which we are moving may result in unintended outcomes & no time for 2nd opinion. See below for medical hx. Rt lung mass appeared on heart CT that wasn't on 2012 CT or pre-sx chest x-ray in 4/2013. Pet-ct and bronch done. CT guided biopsy on Monday. No dx yet but at consult pulmonologist states due to size & rate tx STAT. If NSCLC will remove 2 lobes by VATS. Chemo if lymph nodes +. No mention of target tx or DNA test. Husband made remarkable rehab from brain disease. He works but no driving. He plans to resume teaching college in Jan. He is unable to make medical decisions due to anosognosia but can participate in discussion. I believe in tx if + but worried that sx/anesth/chemo will plunge him into unmanageable dementia. I can't base decision on unknown but perhaps I can prepare with appropriate specialist on the team if one exists. What additional info is needed to decide if immediate surgery is the best option?
Thanking you in advance
67 yo husband - lifetime closet smoker; asymptomatic
2/2005 Traumatic brain injury - enlarged ventricles considered not medically significant;
5/2012 Severe Traumatic brain injury - enlarged ventricles & triad of symptoms - Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus - VP Shunt;
4/2013 Pre-sx chest x-ray clear;
4/2013 Endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV) sx (shunt inoperable and aqueductal stenosis);
5/2013 Subacute subdural hematoma with 14 mm midline shift;
11/8/2013 CT scan to monitor aortic root aneurysm shows lobular mass in right posterior hilum, 3.5x2.4 cm straddling major fissure, aneurysm stable
11/21/2013 PET/CT Scan - right posterior hilar/perihilar mass extending into lower lobe superior segment, SUV 8.7 and proximal gastric mucosa appears thick but area not well expanded SUV 8.2.
11/22/2013 Bronchoscopy - nothing communicated
12/2/13 CT guided biopsy