Hello, I’m new to GRACE. Jim, I’m so glad that you’re a cancer survivor, and thanks for your great work on this site.
My sister, 63, pretty much a lifelong non-smoker, has just been diagnosed with lung cancer - T2a N0 M0 (I think bronchial) adenocarcinoma with lepidic pattern of growth left lower lobe.
She is reasonably fit and well, though very thin. It was also found she has right middle lobe bronchiectasis.
She had initial CT 5/20/14 and second CT 8/5/14 with biopsy. The tumour hadn’t changed in that time.
It’s been recommended that she have surgery to remove the entire left lower lobe without delay. If she has this done my sister would like to have minimally invasive, video-guided keyhole surgery. She has been told that once opened up, it is never 100% certain what will be found.
My sister is obviously scared but she is reluctant to be rushed into anything and is looking at alternative therapies.
I am worried that she should not delay at all and risk allowing the cancer to progress.
I have also heard that chemotherapy prior to surgery can increase chances of a successful outcome. But would that apply to the cancer my sister has? Would it decrease the chance of further tumours forming?
Any thoughts and information would be very greatly appreciated.