Much has happened since my last inquiry in December. My sweetie's right lung was removed by robot (RATS!). After discharge he spent a week at home then announced he wanted to return to work, etc. So he did. In the next two weeks he will start adjuvant chemo - 4 one day treatments with pemetrexate (500mg/m) and carbo (AUC=6) at 21 day intervals. There has been a slight delay in getting chemo started because the oncologist really thought it was a good idea or decided to yield to my dogged insistence that the upper GI hot spot on pre-surgical PET CT scan be scoped/biopsied. If someone wants to comment on reasons why the pre-surgical providers (pulmon., thoracic surgeons) chose to proceed without addressing GI hot spot, I am all ears.
So the good news from surgery is that mediastinum nodes sampled (7, 4R and 2R) were negative. My opinion based on cancer crash course, prognostic findings not so sanguine: level 11 lymph node, positive; 3.6-4.6 cm poorly differentiated (grade 3) adenocarcinoma; vascular invasion present.
Now I am trying to wrap my head around mutation testing and targeted therapies. At what point in this journey should I expect or insist on mutation testing? If done, can previously removed lung tissue be used?
The results of the GI biopsy are due this week. Doc saw irritated area but did not think it looked like cancer.
Please do not hesitate to tell me where to go if my questions have been addressed. I love searching and I have probably found and/or read about the subjects but I find myself in a state of bewilderment.
I am indebted to cancergrace and hope that I haven't wasted any of your valuable time.
With utmost respect,