Article and Video CATEGORIES

Cancer Journey

Search By

Dr. Jack West is a medical oncologist and thoracic oncology specialist who is the Founder and previously served as President & CEO, currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education (GRACE)

 

First Line Immunotherapy for Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Great Option for Some, but Not for All
Author
Howard (Jack) West, MD

General-Campaign-Logo-300x300Several weeks ago, at a very crowded plenary session for the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) in Copenhagen, Denmark, results with first line immunotherapy compared to standard first line chemotherapy for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) were presented that simultaneously ushered in a new era for testing for PD-L1, the leading predictive marker for sensitivity to immunotherapy, and indicated both the new promise and limitations of PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitors such as Keytruda (pembrolizumab) and Opdivo (nivolumab). In fact, the remarkably different results from two similarly designed trials leave us in a new world, but also one in which further change is coming.

First, let’s discuss the positive results for first line. The KEYNOTE-024 trial, which enrolled 305 patients with high level expression of the PD-L1 antibody marker known as 22C3 (>50% of tumor cells staining positive, seen in about 30% of patients with advanced NSCLC overall), randomized patients to either first line treatment with standard chemotherapy with any of several chemotherapy doublets or Keytruda at a new fixed dose of 200 mg IV every 3 weeks. Notably, patients with an EGFR mutation or ALK rearrangement were excluded from the trial, based on evidence that these patients are far more likely to benefit from the targeted therapies against their driver mutations than either chemotherapy or immunotherapy. Patients assigned to Keytruda were to continue until significant side effects or progression. Patients who were assigned to chemotherapy could receive maintenance Alimta (pemetrexed) if they had not demonstrated progression after 4-6 cycles of initial doublet chemotherapy; patients on the chemotherapy arm were eligible to cross over to receive Keytruda as second line therapy. 

The trial demonstrated a highly significant improvement in progression-free survival (PFS); the median PFS (the time when half of patients have progressed and half have not) being 10.3 months for the first line Keytruda recipients vs. 6.0 months for the first line chemo patients. The differences became more pronounced with longer follow up, so that by 1 year from the start of treatment, 48% of patients assigned to Keytruda still hadn’t progressed, while 15% of the patients starting on chemo hadn’t progressed. In terms of response rate, the probability that measurable cancer will shrink significantly, it was significantly better with Keytruda – 45% vs. 28%.  As is typical with immunotherapy trials, chemotherapy caused more side effects, though a minority of patients will have challenging and even rarely serious side effects with immunotherapy.

Both groups of patients did relatively well in terms of overall survival (OS), but a higher proportion of those starting with Keytruda remained alive a year into the trial (70% vs. 54%). Based on these differences in efficacy favoring Keytruda, the Data Safety Monitoring Committee following the trial recommended stopping the trial because it would have been considered unethical to continue to randomize patients to chemotherapy in light of the emerging findings. Notably, however, while this survival benefit was seen despite the built-in crossover of chemo patients to Keytruda, only about half of the progressing patients had received immunotherapy, a low proportion that is unexplained, disappointing, and partly challenges the idea that it is critical to get immunotherapy first, because too many patients assigned to first line chemo failed to ever get immunotherapy, despite the fact that this is a treatment that has been repeatedly proven to improve survival as a second line therapy.

With that presentation and the simultaneously published article in the New England Journal of Medicine, the standard of care for advanced NSCLC changed, as indicated by the remarkably quick update in the NCCN guidelines (the leading treatment recommendations put forth by a group of cancer experts as defining our best treatment) and a new approval for Keytruda as first line therapy, specifically for patients with high level expression of PD-L1. This means that it is now necessary to have the tumors of newly diagnosed patients with advanced squamous or nonsquamous NSCLC tested for PD-L1, and for the 30% of patients with high level expression of PD-L1, to favor single agent Keytruda.

But despite this clear victory for immunotherapy in advanced NSCLC, this doesn’t mean that most or all patients should get immunotherapy as initial treatment. Though some provocative data came out looking at chemo combined with immunotherapy as first line therapy, that relatively small trial didn’t show a survival benefit compared with first line chemo followed by immunotherapy. We need to also remember that the trial excluded patients with an EGFR mutation or ALK rearrangement, as the oral targeted therapies for these patients are remarkably effective, and we’ve seen disappointing (though still very limited) results with immunotherapy overall in these populations.  Importantly, we must remember that good results with first line Keytruda are seen thus far only in the high PD-L1 expression group, the 30% of patients with the best probability of benefit from immunotherapy, and that we can’t presume that immunotherapy would be better for the 70% of patients with a lower probability of benefiting greatly from immunotherapy.

And that brings us to the humbling results of the Checkmate-026 trial of Opdivo vs. chemotherapy, which I’ll cover in a post later this month.

Video Language

Next Previous link

Previous PostNext Post

Related Content

Image
Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023
Video
At our live event, Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023, Dr. Yang, Das, and Dagogo-Jack discuss commonly used terms in treatment options for lung cancer, how oncologists determine the stage of lung cancer, and what that means for treatment, the importance of driver mutation in NSCLC treatment, the vast number of NSCLC trials, among other topics which involve lung cancer treatments. To watch the complete playlist click here.
Image
Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023
Video
At our live event, Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023, Dr. Jeff Yang, discusses different surgical procedures used to treat early-stage lung cancer and different approaches to removing cancerous tissue from the lung. 
Image
Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023
Video
At our live event, Lung Cancer OncTalk 2023, Dr. Millie Das, discusses different Studies and Trials for NSCLC. Dr. Das specializes in the treatment of thoracic malignancies. She sees and treats patients both at the Stanford Cancer Center and at the Palo Alto VA Hospital. She is the Chief of Oncology at the Palo Alto VA and is an active member of the VA National Lung Cancer Working Group and Lung Cancer Precision Oncology Program. Learn more about Dr. Das here.

Forum Discussions

Hi and welcome to Grace.  Wow, I don't know why you can't get in to see your doc but I'd find a way or find another doc who can walk you...

Hi Amber, Welcome to Grace.  I'm so sorry you're going through this scare.  It could be a recurrence.  It also is as likely to be the contrast creating a better view. ...

Hi Blaze,

 

As much as I hate to say it, Welcome back Blaze.  It sounds like you're otherwise feeling good and enjoying life which is a wonderful place to be. ...

Waiting for my appointment with oncologist this morning. Thank you for the response. It helps. <3

It sounds like you’re thinking of this in a very appropriate way. Specifically, it sounds like the growth of the nodule is rather modest, though keep in mind that the change...

Hi and welcome to GRACE.  I'm sorry your mom is having this difficulty.  An indwelling catheter is used when the pleura space continually fills and the catheter is always there to...

Recent Comments

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Joanne indwelling catheters
By arm2966 on
Hi and welcome to Grace. …
By JanineT GRACE … on
Hi Amber, Welcome to Grace. …
By JanineT GRACE … on
Could you
By Maeve785 on