5 mm Ground Glass Nodule Found

Sat, 08/22/2020 - 16:19

I am new here looking for advice if this is a right place.

Annual CT scans have identified a stable right upper lobe Ground Glass Nodule (GGN) measuring 5 x 5 mm with a small arterial branch courses to the center of the opacity for the past three years, which may represent an area of Atypical Adenomatous Hyperplasia (AAH). This nonspecific Ground Glass Opacity (GGO) was incidentally found in a CT scan three years ago for other medical reason. No significant growth or change has been foubd in CT scan reports since then.  I feel sorry to myself that I did not pay any attention to the GGN/GGO/AAH in the past until my Dr. suggests to monitor it in annual base recently (Aug. 2020). I think I may need to make appointment with my PCP and a specialist to clear some questions burning in my mind.  I am not even sure if it is a pure GGO or mixed GGO since there is a small arterial branch courses to the center of the opacity. But I would like to know what kind of specialist doctor I should looking for before seeing my PCP. It is greatly appreciated if you could share similar experiences and educational information. Thank you very much in advance for your time.  Good luck to everyone here.

Jim C Forum Mo…

Hi thing3,


Welcome to GRACE. I'm sorry to hear of this scan finding that is understandibly causing you concern. I think it's most important to understand that the great majority of such solitary nodules (GGO or otherwise) do not represent cancer. In addition, a basic feature of cancer is that it grows over time,  and any nodule that remains unchanged for three years is much less likely to be cancer. You may find Dr. West's discussion of such nodules helpful: https://cancergrace.org/post/imaging-features-nodules-what-makes-lung-nodule-high-risk-cancer


That being said, it is entirely appropriate to investigate further, and the starting point would typically be a consultation with a pulmonologist, a specialist who deals with diseases and abnormalities of the lungs. An oncologist, who treats cancer, would normally only be consulted if there is a cancer diagnosis. 


Good luck with your follow up on this finding. I hope that the result is that you have nothing to worry about.



Jim C Forum Moderator