BRCA 1 and Breast Cancer and Lung Cancer. - 1271383

kayrem

Hi

Five years ago my dad passed from lung cancer and 10 months later I was diagnosed with Stage 3 TN Breast cancer. A year after diagnosis I got my genetic test back - positive for BRCA 1 mutation. My dad's mom passed from Ovarian cancer and my mom tested negative for the gene so I had to have had it passed to me from my dad.

Would having a Brca 1 mutation make for me more prone to lung cancer, as I also have asthma. I am just wondering if I there is any merit in requesting tests to monitor my lungs and if yes what tests may be appropriate to request.

My dad never had breast cancer but he had NH Lymphoma in his stomach 21 years prior to his stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis. Could these cancers have been related to his Brca 1 status?

Thanks

Forums

catdander
Hi kayrem, From cancer.gov the following passage discribes what, at this time is understood about brca1 mutation and its links to types of cancers. The entire discussion is quite informative.

"Harmful mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 increase the risk of several cancers in addition to breast and ovarian cancer. BRCA1 mutations may increase a woman’s risk of developing fallopian tube cancer and peritoneal cancer (7, 8). Men with BRCA2 mutations, and to a lesser extent BRCA1 mutations, are also at increased risk of breast cancer (9). Men with harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations have a higher risk of prostate cancer (10). Men and women with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations may be at increased risk of pancreatic cancer (11). Mutations in BRCA2 (also known as FANCD1), if they are inherited from both parents, can cause a Fanconi anemia subtype (FA-D1), a syndrome that is associated with childhood solid tumors and development of acute myeloid leukemia (12, 13). Likewise, mutations in BRCA1 (also known as FANCS), if they are inherited from both parents, can cause another Fanconi anemia subtype" http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact…

All best,
Janine