CAPTEM - 1271418

hammer

I just found an article on Cancer.net that indicated capecitabine combined with Temozolomide had shown promising results for neuroendocrine tumors as 2nd line treatment. Do any of your doctors know any more about this? I'm wondering if it's worth bringing up to my sister's doctor for her NSCLC IV neuroendocrine type. She is currently on Taxotere as 2nd line which may be failing after two rounds. --Hammer

"Early results from an ongoing phase II clinical trial have shown that a new chemotherapy combination, CAPTEM, may be an effective second-line treatment option for patients with a neuroendocrine tumor that has spread to other parts of the body, even for tumors that haven’t responded to other standard (commonly used) treatments."

Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium
January 14, 2014

Forums

catdander
Hi hammer,

I can't find info on capecitabine for pulmonary NETs but that only means I need to make sure we have an oncologist to answer your question. It may be Monday before we hear back.

It does seem that pulmonary NETs are treated differently though that may be according to the "grade" of NET. This is from a neuroendocrine site, "Lung NETs comprise approximately 2% of primary lung tumors.32 They are a distinct subset of NETs that share common anatomic primary sites but represent a spectrum of different histologic diagnoses, clinical behaviors, and natural histories" http://www.neuroendocrinetumor.com/health-care-professionals/types-of-n…

I hope you can enjoy some weekend activities (or inactivity :) ),
Janine

hammer

Thanks Janine. That's helpful. It's been a rough weekend for pain control. I'll get back on again when I can.
--Hammer

catdander
I know how strong willed people can get about abstaining from pain medications and management but I hope your wife will follow through with measures to control her pain better.

Janine

dr. weiss

"Neuroendocrine lung cancer" is a somewhat vague term and optimal therapy typically requires clarification of the nature of the cancer. Some look very indolent and can be treated gently or even observed while others look essentially like small cell lung cancer, with patients doing best when treated as if they had small cell. I am not aware of data for CAPTEM in lung neuroendocrine cancer.

hammer

Thanks Dr. Weiss,

My sister's cancer is highly aggressive and fast growing. I had been looking for anything to try since she has almost exhausted her other chemo options. Taxotere has just failed. She is now looking at either Irinotecan (if she's up for it) or Opdivo or give up and do Hospice.

Thanks,

Hammer

catdander
Hammer,

I really hope your sister is able to get good use out of one and eventually more of these drugs.

Or, if she isn't able to benefit from the anticancer drugs I hope she does very well with the excellent comfort care hospice is known for.

Janine