Chest radiation for 92 year old - 1246199

pattys

My uncle who is 92, recently found out he has cancer with a mass around a lymph node in his shoulder and one in his lung. The medical oncologist told him he would not survive chemo or surgery. He is going to see a radiation oncologist soon and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding questions he might ask about someone his age getting radiation, and any concerns you might have that he probably hasn't thought of. I think he is leaning toward no treatment; says "he has had a good run". I am not sure what kind of cancer he has. Your responses will be appreciated.

Forums

JimC

Hi pattys,

Welcome to GRACE, and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's diagnosis, but you have found an excellent site for information and support. The faculty here often state that the age of a patient is not the most important factor, but rather the overall health of that patient. You can read about considerations for treatment of lung cancer in the elderly here:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2011/10/03/lilenbaum-on-lc-in-elderly/

In fact, since your uncle is somewhat reluctant to begin any treatment, you may want to share Dr. Lilenbaum's post with him.

Please post any follow-up questions you may have and we will do our best to help.

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

Though treatment of elderly patients is becoming better studied, even that field usually consider a patient in their 80s to be about the limit of what has been studied at all. Radiation is often well tolerated, so it's reasonable to ask about how well the radiation oncologist thinks he could tolerate treatment and how helpful treatment might be. But there are really no rules at all for patients beyond 85 or 90, and many people in that age range feel similarly to your uncle. I've told some patients in their 80s and 90s that our treatments could potentially add a few months or maybe a year or two, but several have been unimpressed with that prospect. On the other hand, age isn't a reason to completely dismiss a patient from receiving treatment, even if their probability of experiencing significant side effects is quite a bit greater than that seen in younger patients.

-Dr. West