Extreme fatigue...does it often get better? - 1264547

momloveselvis

My mom, 68 , diagnosed April 10, 2014 with nsclc adeno with mets to lymph, adrenal, and brain. Very poor prognosis, a few months. Also has a large mass in remaining ovary they think is a second primary cancer they are going to not even deal with. She has already put affairs in order and quite realistic about the whole thing, as she watched her parents and sister go through same thing.

She finished WBR May 1 and has been weaned off steroids for weeks now. Has had 3rd of 4 chemos of carbo/alympta I believe are the names. The plan is to then have chemo after that every 3 weeks still, but just the alympta. She is so exhausted now that except for being up a few hours at a time during the day, she is sleeping almost all the time. The Dr. said he wouldn't put her back on steroids again unless her confusion came back, bad headaches, etc. because she was having such leg weakness from the steroids.

I realize the cancer, chemo, and WBR all contribute to the fatigue. I know nobody has a crystal ball. But in general, do people often get their energy back or just get more and more tired? I have my brother in Seattle asking me if he can wait until end of July to come again as he was just here end of April and he can't afford to come often. Of course I can't advise him, just as nobody knows how this will go. I keep reading all these hopeful stories on here of so many people outliving their prognosis so I am hopeful. I'm very grateful I live near and can see my mom whenever I want. I really feel for people living far away from their sick loved ones. I have no idea what to tell my brother.

Thanks,
Tonya

Forums

JimC

Hi Tonya,

I'm very sorry to hear what your mom and you and your brother are going through...the uncertainty is tough to deal with.

All three factors you mention - cancer, chemo and WBR - can cause fatigue, but many patients complain of extreme fatigue after WBR. The duration of that fatigue varies from patient to patient. Some bounce back within a month or two, for others it can last several months or more. After my wife's WBR, she was very fatigued for several months, but did regain much of her energy despite continuing chemo and radiation to various bone mets.

I wish I knew what to tell your brother. It is good to be hopeful but realistic. Does your mom have a follow-up scan coming up soon? If so, that may give some idea about how well she is responding to treatment. At that point, although it's true that her doctor doesn't have a crystal ball, he may be able to give some insight about your brother's next visit.

Best wishes to your mom for a good response to treatment and renewed energy.

JimC
Forum moderator

momloveselvis

Thank you Jim for the helpful info...I see from your wife Liz's timeline I was spelling alimpta wrong. I am sorry you lost your wife. I have been so pleased to read so many stories on here where many people far outlive their prognosis.

My mom has an MRI on June 26 with an appt. the following Monday to see how the WBR worked on her brain mets. Yes, that will be an indicator of which direction we're going for helping my brother decide when to fly in next.

You just never know...my son's girlfriend's dad just died, 58, of a sudden heart attack with no previous medical problems whatsoever (no pain, high blood pressure, cholesterol). I guess in that respect although I certainly don't want my mom to be sick, in pain, or suffer...we are making the most of our time and I'm glad to have her here for whatever time she has.

Tonya

cards7up

Alimta is also well known for extreme fatigue. I've had it two different times with carboplatin and the fatigue was immense for me. Not everyone gets it that extreme, but many do. As for the steroids, I took the lowest dose of 2mg 2x daily just for three days, the day before, of and after chemo. By the end of my third infusion, I barely moved. I slept in my recliner which is thankfully comfortable enough for me to crawl up in. I understand your Mom's situation and it will get better in time. Keep up the fluids and make sure she's eating enough nutritionally. Wishing her the best.
Take care Judy