Genetic links - 1267784

whiteheadswife

Hi all!
It has been quite some time since I have been here. I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma of the lung in Nov 2011,(at age 35) had my upper and middle lobe removed, started chemo (cisplastin and vinorelbine) in January of 2012, and all scans since have shown small, unchanging nodules. I go for another follow up on the 9th of January. I have since been diagnosed with COPD and that has not been fun at all.
All of that being said, one of my older sisters was diagnosed about a week after me.(50's) She had a wedge resection and had done well since. No other tx.
Keeping in mind that we lost both of our parents to lung cancer, my oldest sister had a COPD flare up and was taken to the hospital the other night (59). The did a scan and are sending her for a PET scan on the 14th.
My question is, how much of a genetic link is there to lung cancer? Do you suppose that this could be genetic? Or is it just "dumb, blind luck"? that all of us have this disease?
I was offered by my present oncologist to go see a genetic counselor in Maryland, and have until this point passed. I am wondering if it would be advisable to go? I am not sure it would make a difference even if it shows a genetic link.
Thanks for any information you can share.
Deborah

Forums

JimC

Hi Deborah,

I am sorry to hear of how lung cancer has so terribly impacted your life and that of your family. There can be a genetic component to lung cancer, although that knowledge doesn't necessarily help with regard to treatment. You can read about the genetic component of lung cancer here: http://cancergrace.org/lung/2008/08/29/resta-genetic-risk-lung-ca/

JimC
Forum moderator

whiteheadswife

Thanks Judy and Jim.
I had planned to go to Maryland for a genetic study, but my nerves got the best of me. I am aware that it is more likely due to the smoking history in my family, but find it odd that so many of us have lung cancer.
Deborah

Dr West

I'm also very sorry about your family's growing familiarity with lung cancer.

A key point of Dr. Resta's summary is that there isn't much of a genetic component to lung cancer. We haven't identified many familial syndromes with lung cancer, but it's fair to say that we're still learning more about this subject. Your family could potentially contribute to a better understanding.

Good luck.

-Dr. West