Irressa for NSCLC with bone metastasis - 1262395

zhengchenji18

My dad, age 55, asian, was also previously diagnosed with IIA NSCLC 5 years ago and had part of his lung take out via surgery. The lung they took out was send to the lab and he is exon 21.

He was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC with bone metastasis about 6 months ago.
About 4 months ago, he started taking Irressa without any other treatment.
We just got our test result back for CT and bone scan.
It shows that the cancer is gone completely from the lung but 3 or 4 new focal area appear on the bone scan. The lab report says that this is a indication of mild progression. My dad says he does experience pain in the areas indicated by the bone scan lab report.

Questions:
1. Our doctor say that Irressa is supposed to work for the bone metastasis as well as the lung.
What makes it not work this time for the bone?
Why nothing shows up for the lung?
Is this the

2. What would be the next step?
I understand RT will treat the existing bone but not prevent new cancer in the bone.
Is it worthwhile if he doesn't have too much pain?

Thanks you so much,
Chen

Forums

JimC

Hi Chen,

Welcome to GRACE. It's good to hear that your dad's cancer is no longer visible in the lung. When treatment eradicates cancer in one or more locations but there is progression in others, it is called a "mixed response" to that treatment. It is likely that some of his cancer cells are sensitive to Iressa, while others may not be. It is a common enough result that Dr. West has written a post dealing with that issue: http://cancergrace.org/lung/2012/08/02/heterogeneity-and-mixed-response/ He also describes how he handles mixed responses in this podcast: http://cancergrace.org/lung/2013/01/01/mixed-response-video/

Radiating bone metastases is done to relieve pain. As Dr. West has said:

"Treating the underlying cancer with chemotherapy and/or targeted therapy (systemic, or “whole body”) can also lead to improvement in disease in the bones, but sometimes local therapy is indicated. The goals of treating bone disease are primarily to relieve pain and to reduce the risk of fracture, which tends to occur in “weight-bearing” bones like the legs, hips, and spine." - http://cancergrace.org/lung/2007/02/17/bone-metastases-in-lung-cancer-a…

In addition to the possibility of radiating the bone mets, your dad's oncologist may consider changing his systemic therapy, although he has had such a good response in the lung that might not be advisable. Some oncologists will consider adding a conventional chemo agent to the targeted therapy (in this case Iressa) in an effort to control the cancer cells which are progressing. That is something he will probably want to discuss with his oncologist.

JimC
Forum moderator

carrigallen

I would also add that there can be small areas of unimpressive, non-specific activity on bone scans or PET. This kind of low-level activity doesn't necessarily mean progressive bone mets. Any bone inflammation can cause scan activity. It all depends on the context. Usually the lung is the more reliable marker of drug activity, and in this case it sounds like he is doing well. In fact clinical trials do not usually like to measure bone lesions, because they are unreliable for assessing drug response.

zhengchenji18

Hi Dr. West, Dr. Creelan,
I will provide some update as the situation have changed and would ask some opinions if possible.

My father have been taking Iressa since Nov 2013.
Up till now, the CT scans shows no signs of disease. There is only slight progression show on the bone scan. Unfortunately, the most recent CT scan in Feb 2015 contains the following:
"A subpleural nodule medially at the right lung base has undergone mild progression in size, now measuring approximately 1.3x1.3cm, compared with 0.7x0.7cm in November 2014. A subpleural nodule along the right cardiac border has also progressed in size to approximately 1.4 * 1.3 cm from 1.0 * 0.8 cm in November 2014. No pleural or pericardial effusion is demonstrated".

My father will see the oncologist on Monday.
I would like to be prepared before we see our oncologist.
We resides in Edmonton, Canada but can relocate to Toronto, Canada if required.

Two Questions
(1) My father had plans to go back to Beijing, China to visit relatives for two weeks on Feb 18.
Do you think he should stop this plan or perhaps shorten to one week?

(2) What is our treatment options?
(a) Continue with Iressa

(b) Test for T790M and get into C01686 and AZD9291 trails
I think the tumor is probably too small for sampling.
Also, I am wondering if these trails are still open, I heard they are closed.

(c) immunotherapy
Is it easy to get on a trail for these PD1 based drug?
Can this be a third line treatment option?

(d) chemo

Thank you so much,
Chen

JimC

Hi Chen,

As you can read in the link Dr. West provided earlier in this thread, the first question is whether there is significant enough progression to warrant a change in treatment. It is not uncommon for cancer to progress so slowly on a targeted therapy that continuing that therapy is preferable to switching to a drug whose efficacy for that patient is unknown. The nodules you describe are still fairly small and they have not grown very rapidly. As Dr. West said in posted he referenced:

"Is the pattern of progression very limited, such as just one or a few lesions growing, or much more diffuse? Is the progression very indolent, such as just a few millimeters of change between scans done 2-3 months apart, or faster than that? And is the person with progression experiencing symptoms or not? And how well are they tolerating the targeted therapy?"

All of the options you list, including staying the course with Iressa, are reasonable possibilities. Although it's true that a nodule greater than 1 cm in size can be large enough to be biopsied, your father's nodules are not much larger than that so it may be difficult to get sufficient tissue to identify genetic changes causing resistance. And it would be good to know if there is a T790M mutation before trying one of the acquired-resistance agent trials.

I hope you have a good meeting with your father's oncologist.

JimC
Forum moderator

zhengchenji18

Hi Jim,
We met with our oncologist Monday.
The treatment option we choose is to keep taking Iressa and check the back back in a month.

In the mean time, a biopsy sample will be taken in two weeks time.
If the tissue is T790M+, the recommendation is AZD9291 phase 3 trial.
The oncologist ruled out immunotheopy since the EGFR mutation my dad have doesn't satisfy the trial criteria.

Questions:
(1) Upon reviewing the trial documentation for AZD9291, we discover that there is only 2/3 chance that my dad will be taking AZD9291. There is a 1/3 chance that my Dad will be going on a platinum based doublet chemo. If my dad is unlucky and went with the 1/3 chance option, is there a way that he can still take AZD9291 in the future?

(2) If my dad test T790M-, is there any other inhibitor he can still take?

Thanks,
Fischer

JimC

Hi Fischer,

It is certainly possible that even if the initial treatment your dad receives in the trial is chemo, he may be able to take AZD 9291 in the future. First, you may want to inquire whether the trial allows those patients who do not respond to chemo to crossover and get the trial drug. In addition, at the time he concludes his participation in this trial there may be new trials available for which he qualifies, or perhaps AZD 9291 will have been approved by then and he can receive it outside a trial setting.

If he tests negative for T790M, there likely would not be another inhibitor available that would be likely to be any better than standard chemo, unless another mutation is discovered for which there is a drug targeting that mutation. He could take Afatinib, another approved EGFR inhibitor, but as Dr. West has often said, it's efficacy in patients for whom Tarceva or Iressa has stopped working has not been impressive.

In the meantime, we'll hope for continued response to Iressa and perhaps a chance to receive AZD 9291 in the trial.

JimC
Forum moderator

zhengchenji18

I just realized something strange that I haven't noticed before.
Back in Sept 2013 when my Dad was first diagnosed for lung cancer, he did do a biopsy for Human Molecular Genetics.

In the report:
EGFR mutation assay: The 19 deletions in exon 19 was identified.
T790M ( This mutation has been associated with resistance to anti-EGFR therapy)
L858R
L861Q
G719X
S768I
3 insertions in exon 20

My Dad took Iressa since Oct 2013 and have been with cancer until Feb 2015.

My question:
1. How come he responded to Iressa and why the doctor give him Iressa in the first place?
2. Could this be a basis to take AZD9291?
3. What is the difference between acquired T790M vs primary T790M?

Thanks,
Fischer

zhengchenji18

I meant to say that the cancer was gone from Oct 2013 until Feb 2015 when two new nodule show up.

JimC

Hi Fischer,

In a case in which molecular testing finds mutations which confer both sensitivity and de novo resistance to an EGFR TKI such as Iressa, the response rate tends not to be good, but that doesn't mean there aren't patients who do respond. Apparently your Dad was one of those patients, and that's good!

As far as why his doctor initially chose Iressa, though two years doesn't seem all that long, the study of mutations and targeted therapies develops rapidly, and much more is known now about EGFR mutations in general and de novo T790M mutations in particular.

An acquired T790 mutation appears in response to treatment with an EGFR TKI, while a de novo mutation is there prior to the cancer diagnosis. Dr. West delivered a presentation on the difference and although I can't seem to find the presentation itself, the slides from that presentation are quite informative.

As far as using AZD9291, Dr. West has said:

"Only a very small proportion of patients with lung cancer have a “de novo” T790M mutation at the time of diagnosis, pre-EGFR inhibitor therapy. These patients tend to not do well with Tarceva (gefitinib) or Iressa (gefitinib), though they should have a much better chance of doing well with AZD9291 or rociletinib." - http://cancergrace.org/topic/navelbine-hard-to-tolerate#post-1267953

JimC
Forum moderator

catdander
Hi Fischer,

I haven't responded to your thread but have read it and want to say how good it is to know your dad has done well on iressa. These questions haven't been fully answered yet however in the last 2 years more is known. Still trying iressa appears to have been worth it, as your dad shows.

It's likely trialists would want to see what the cancer looks like today since the cancer biology has a tendency to change over time so a biopsy at the time of a trial has become more than likely be needed. Though each is different and you should always ask.

I understand chemo platinum doublet doesn't have the best reputation of and there's certainly reason for that. But even with having to go in to a cancer center to receive treatment IV, the side effects are usually very manageable if you stay on top of them and it is still the official proven next best step in the dad case. So it's not like loosing the lotto as much as it's buying time until the next best thing. Or maybe it's just a glass half full take on a bad situation.

All best,
Janine

zhengchenji18

Hi,
It looks like we have some decisions to make now.
As always, I appreciate the opinions from the Cancer Grace community.

My dad went for the biopsy and he is T790M+.
He will see the oncologist this Friday to determine if he is randomly selected for taking AZD9291 or chemo.

His most recent CT (Mar 20, 2015 ) compare to the one taken mid Feb 2015 shows:
1. 1 additional sub centimeter nodule
2. one 1.3cm *1.2cm increased to 0.9cm * 0.8cm , one 1.5cm *1.3cm increased to 1.1 cm * 1.0cm

Currently he is still taking Iressa and have been taking Iressa for 17 months.

Since there is a 28 day period for the clinical trail to be valid, he needs to make a decision on Friday.

Option 1:
Keep taking Iressa, since Iressa is still somewhat effective and no multi focal progression
This means that he will be out of the AZD9291 trail for now.
What are the chances that he can get back into the trail later?
How long does a trail typical open for?
The test is supposed to recruit 3-4 from our cancer center, does it mean after it reach the limit no one else can get in.

Option 2:
If randomize into AZD9291, great, we will take it.

If randomize into chemo, bad , we will still take it.
After the chemo is ineffective, take AZD9291.
My question is that, is it possible for chemo to change the characteristic of his cancer so that AZD9291 is no longer effective.
Should he take maintenance therapy too after 1st line?

What would be your opinion on which option to choose?
Thanks!
Fischer

JimC

Hi Fischer,

None of the GRACE staff can offer an opinion on which option would be best; but we can provide information and observations which help with the decision.

The progression you describe is not especially fast, so sticking with Iressa for now is not a bad option. In its favor is the principle that we like to get as much benefit from each treatment regimen as possible, even if there is mild progression. As Dr. West puts it, "bad brakes are better than no brakes."

Some trials take quite a while (many months) to accrue all their patients, so it is possible that if the progression continues you might be able to enter the trial, or perhaps another trial of the same or a similar drug. As far as recruiting 3-4 from your cancer center, I would expect that number to be at least somewhat flexible, especially if the sponsor is having trouble getting enough recruits from other centers.

If you choose the trial and enter it, neither option is bad and although "cancer can do anything" I wouldn't think that chemo would change the EGFR characteristics of your dad's cancer, since that chemo is not targeting EGFR, possibly pushing it to further mutate. If your dad gets a good response from chemo and tolerates it well, then maintenance would certainly be an option to consider. Anything that is effective and could be well-tolerated over an extended period is a good candidate for maintenance, leaving newer generation EGFR inhibitors for later, if necessary.

Good luck with whatever option is chosen.

JimC
Forum moderator

zhengchenji18

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the information.
Just want to give a quick update.

I am very happy to report that my dad have been randomized to take the AZD9291 drug.
He will be taking the drug for two cycles for a total of 6 weeks before the doctors taking more scans.

I have a side question about the anti PD-1 immunotherapy.
From what I know the clinical trail excludes patients with EGFR mutation.
I am wondering what would be a good reason for the exclusion.
Again, from what I have read, the immunotherapy should be independent of the mutation profile.

Thanks,
Fischer

catdander
I imagine that is only this particular trial. No one knows why some people do well and others don't. They maybe guessing that someone with just one mutation (EGFR) won't have the same benefit from the pd-1 drug as someone with a more complicated mutation profile. That way the trial will have higher efficacy rate if their guess is true. This idea has been discussed a bit in our Immunotherapy Patient Forum video collection (they can be found on the right column of this page)

Best of luck,
Janine

zhengchenji18

Hi All,
I am happy to report that after 2 cycles of 3 week treatment on AZD9291, my dad have a 50% shrinkage in the tumor in his lung :)

I do have a question on switching locations for clinical trail cancer treatment.
Currently, my dad is seeing an oncologist at Edmonton.
I am based in Toronto and would rather my parents are closer with me.
I know that Toronto have the same clinical trail going on.
Do you guys think it is possible to move to Toronto and stay on the trail?

I am certainly going to talk to my dad's doctor about his but I just want to hear opinions from you guys as well.

Thanks!
Fischer

catdander
Hi Fischer,

I'm so glad your dad has responded so well. Congratulations and my it be long long lasting!

All trials are different and actually some of the standards are changing so I'd not presume a standard in a case like yours. So it's a question only the trialists on his case can answer. Cancer trialists are usually very good at fielding questions, concerns and needs of there patients so don't hesitate to ask.

Let us know how it goes.

Janine