liver ttf1 positive - lung cancer - 1257776

terry65

Dear team,
my dad (now 78 yrs old) had a right emicolectormy in Feb, 2010 for colon adenocarcinoma. 1/23 lymph nodes was partially positive. He had 4 rounds chemotherapy (Machover) and everything has always been ok in his follow up tests util past May. Ultrasounds and a TC scan showed two subglissonian target lesions in his liver (II and VIII segment). A ultrasound guided biopsy has been performed on June 13. We have not all the final results yet but we already know one of the lesions -under the diaphragm- is TTF1 positive (the other has not been punched - on June 13 they sait it is a cyst). The oncologist says the liver lesion is not a metastase from colon, but it is probably a metastase from the lung. TTF1 positivity can indicate something benign in the liver too or it's istologically enough to say my dad has a -second- cancer in the lung?
The oncologist wants my dad have a total body Pet-TC before having the final and complete results of the liver biopsy so I'm really worried.

My dad is well as always,no cough, no short breath, no weight loss, etc.He never smoked. His markers (CEA, Ca 19-9 and alphafetoprotein), all the blood tests and chest X-rays are normal. He's diabetic.

A follow-up TC scan (Oct. 2010) showed a spiculated nodule in his left lung and limph nodes in the right lung, but the tc guided biopsy showed it was a benign lesion (anthracotic and fibrotic).

Sorry for my poor English. Thank you for your attention. Kind regards.
Terry.

Forums

catdander
Hi Terry, First please don't apologize, your english in very good, better in fact than many native speakers.
Welcome to Grace, I'm very sorry your dad and you are going through this.

I will ask a doctor to comment on your post.

All the best hopes,
Janine
forum moderator

Dr West

I'm sorry about your father's recent findings.

The fact that the cancer is positive for TTF-1, or thyroid transcription factor-1, strongly suggests that the cancer originated in the lung or possibly the thyroid. Some other markers may help clarify lung or thyroid origin, but lung cancer spreading to the liver is far more common.

I agree that a PET-CT scan makes sense to see if a hypermetabolic (i.e., suggestive of cancer) lesion is present in the chest. If so, that would clearly fit with this actually being a separate lung cancer that has spread to the liver. In fact, even if a chest lesion is not found, treating it like a metastatic lung cancer would be a very appropriate strategy, especially since some of the same drugs will work for many metastatic cancers.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

Dr Laskin

Hi Terry

i echo Janine, your English is excellent and i'm sorry about your dad.

In general most doctors like to use one diagnosis to explain as many abnormalities as possible - why say your dad has two cancers when we could explain it all by one? and this is usually true in biology.

first - liver cysts are common, usually they don't need to be biopsied.

you have brought up some complicated questions that make me wonder if there may be two things going on.
1. the way pathologists (and i am NOT a pathologist) decide what kind of cancer they are looking at is primarily by what it looks like under the microscope. there are patterns that are common for different cancers and these depend on the cell of origin (where the cancer started - lung, colon, breast, etc). if they are less sure, or sometimes just as a routine, they will add on some "immunohistochemical" (IHC) stains - this can help narrow down a diagnosis or point the clinicians in a particular direction. most of the time they say that these IHC tests "suggest" a particular origin, but the IHC tests are not more definite that what the cells just look like without those stains.
2. TTF1 is often positive in lung cancers, i don't know if it's sometimes positive in colon cancer, but there would be other IHC tests that might also help distinguish between these two cancers, they likely did several IHC tests of different kinds. and of course sometimes an IHC test can be wrong. so it's interesting but i wouldn't say it definitely means he also has lung cancer.
3. a PET scan is a great idea. especially because he does have a "spiculated" mass in the lung and even though it was biopsied maybe just maybe it actually is a cancer. so the PET will really help and he might need that lung spot biopsied again.

i know it's very stressful to wait for the results of those other IHC tests and the PET scan but it is really crucial that we know if this is one thing or two.

best of luck

Dr Laskin

terry65

Dear Janine, dear Dr West, dear Dr Laskin,

thank you for your kind words and your opinion!

I felt so worried and confused, not being able to understand what I was reading about that TTF-1+, one day it sounded me like a death sentence, the day after I read it could also stain bening cells in the liver...

But then I've discovered this forum, a very special place: I feel at home here. I’m having not only qualified professional advice, but also precious support from people who knows what I’m going through.

Cancer has already hit my dear ones. I’ve lost my loved grandma several years ago because of uterine sarcoma, 11 years after she won her battle with breast cancer.
And less than one year after my wedding, my husband got acute leukemia (M3). Thank God he’s well now and this is only a bad memory. But you can imagine how I’m feeling now thinking about my dad...

Thank you for having dedicated me some of your precious time. I’ll try to be strong and patient.
I don't want to lose hope.

I'll keep you informed- Best greetings to all.

terry65

Dear Team,’

good morning. I’m back with some news about my dad.

He refused to have a pet (because he’s diabetic, he said), so the doctors wanted him to have a TC scan (only thorax and abdomen- on July 31). The situation of the lungs is exactly the same of the one showed by the TC of fall 2010, no new findings, no changes in size of the lesions and lymph nodes.
Eveything is ok in all the other organs examined by the TC.
But one of the two lesions in the liver is now 1 cm bigger (the one that hasn't been punched).

Today he has seen the oncologist and on Aug. 28 he has to start chemotherapy with carboplatin and alimta. After the first 3 chemo, they'll see how it's working. Before it, he has to start taking vit. B12.

So, if I understand, they’re treating it like lung cancer, and the decision is based only on TTF1 positivity of the liver. They are sure the two lesions in the liver are not metastases from colon. The thyroid has not been examined (I’ve read on the total body TC results of fall 2010 my dad had a calcified nodule in it).

What to do now? Start with the new chemo? Have other tests? Ask for a second opinion?

Thank you again for your attention and for this helpful site. Kindest regards.

carrigallen

The original lung lesion sounds like it may have been a primary lung cancer. For spiculated, PET-positive lung nodules that appear suspicious for lung cancer, many thoracic oncologists will skip biopsy and proceed straight to resection with a lobectomy, if it is safe. The problem is that simple CT-guided biopsies may miss the actual tumor, causing an equivocal or a false negative result. It all depends on the context.

In this case, though, it sounds like the lung lesion has metastased to the liver, so surgery is not currently an option. I'm sorry, this sounds like a rough spot for him and your family, to have beat colon cancer only to find out another cancer in an advanced stage. For this type of situation, carboplatin with Alimta is a very good and reasonable treatment to start. In this setting, many oncologists would also do mutation testing for EGFR and ALK on the biopsied liver tumor, although I would not delay chemotherapy for this. Hope this helps. Good luck, and God bless him and your family.

catdander
I just wanted to take this opportunity to give a Big Thank You to Dr. Creelan for all his work on Grace as of late.

We're lucky to have you and you're a terrific help!

Janine

Dr West

Me, too. It's noticed and very much appreciated by me as well, and I'm sure many other people checking in here are excited and gratified to have you providing such thoughtful insights.

-Dr. West

terry65

Dear Dr. Creelan,

thank you very much for your opinion and your so kind words and wishes.
(sorry I couldn't write before).
Kindest regards to you and the Cancergrace team.

Terry