Megace - 1265651

xenodem

Hi my mother is 74 years old and is taking Megace once every morning and a hormone shot once a month.
She has no apetite and is very tired all the time She has no energy and is not herself at all. She lost and keep loosing weight.I am so worried . Can you please tell me what I need to do.
She lives in a diferent country. She had a blood test and waiting the results on Monday and in the meantime they gave her some fruit juices with vitimins. I dont think they are doing enough for her Do you have any suggestions for me please ?

Thank you

Xenios

Forums

xenodem

Forgot to mention the megace and the shot is her cancer treatment

Dr West

I'm sorry about how things are going with your mother. I'm afraid that when people with cancer have a poor appetite and are losing weight, weak, and tired, there isn't often a fix. Though we often try megace, this is often only of limited utility. The cancer is generally the prevailing factor, and if it is progressing, there isn't necessarily anything that can change the trajectory of things.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

xenodem

Hi Dr. West,

Thank you for the information about my mother. Today they did a blood test and everything seems to be ok although they want to do another blood test to check her thyroid. He thinks it might be hypo.
Do you think that might be the case ?

They said if it is not her thyroid then they will do more testing.

Please give me your opinion on this.

Thank you again,

Xenios

JimC

Hi Xenios,

It's worth checking (and pretty easily done), although in the context of progressing cancer the cancer would be the expected cause of her symptoms.

JimC
Forum moderator

Dr West

The thyroid regulates many bodily functions, so it's certainly plausible that if thyroid function is off, energy and appetite will also be off. And as Jim said, it's so easy to test that there's no reason not to hope that something as easy to test and readily fixable as thyroid dysfunction might be the cause.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

xenodem

Hi Dr.West,
Mysister called me saying our mother is not well at all. I got on the plane the same day. I arrived and I was shocked of the state of my mother.I called the Doctor to find out more. He told me last Chrismas it was spreed to her lungs. I asked him about how much time and he told me weeks.
I am still in shock. Some days ago asking you about Megace and now with this.
It is so hard because she drinks very litle and bearly eats. She has no pain which iss good The doctor thinks she will slowly go to sleep peacefully. We are ready but always want to now more of her time left.

Dr West

I must confess that her doctor's impression was also what I suspected based on your description. I hope she has a peaceful end, with as litle suffering as possible, and surrounded by people who love her.

-Dr. West