Monitoring scans - when to stop - 1290960

scobro1888

Hi,
Two years ago I had my first ever CT scan for symptoms of malaise, excess sputum, fatigue and myalgia. The doctor was happy with the result, all that was reported was a mediastinal lymph node of 6mm by 9mm.As it was commented on I was worried and the doctor suggested it was something I could get checked out in 6 to 12 months. I have since had 2 further scans and the node is now 9mm by 12mm (after 2 years). This does seem like very slow growth to me and since moving locations don't have the same doctor. I feel a bit on my own with this now and wonder if it is time to stop worrying about this or would the protocol be to keep scanning until it becomes significant (not sure when this would be marked as significant?).
Am I right in thinking that this is slow growth and therefore less likely to be malignant. As an ex-smoker I am worried about lung cancer but thankfully no other abnormalities have been reported.
Thanks
Scobro

Forums

JimC

Hi scobro,

Welcome to GRACE. It's certainly true that this appears to be pretty slow growth, but since it is growing, your doctor will most likely recommend continued surveillance. On the positive side, the longer a module or node grows at a slow pace, the less likely it is to be cancer. Dr. West has an excellent discussion of these issues here.

JimC
Forum moderator

scobro1888

Hi Jim,
Thank you for the link to the excellent information. Can I ask if it also applies to nodes or are these the same as nodules? My new doctor doesn't seem concerned about any follow up as he suggests the node is not significant to warrant it. Just out of interest, would a pet/ct give a definitive answer?

Thanks
Scobro

catdander
Hi Scobro,

The info in this link would apply to the node you've described. PET scans aren't likely to pick up anything that is either not growing or growing as slowly as 3 mm in 2 years, especially something that size. The only definitive answer comes from examining it under a microscope and not too many doctors would be willing to risk such an invasive procedure for something that likely isn't harmful.
I hope follow up scans show no further change.

Best of luck,
Janine

scobro1888

Hi Janine,
Thank you for the additional information. The radiologist in my new location said that follow up was not necessary. When I look at the information on doubling times, he is probably right. I found one calculator that said the doubling time is about 600 days.
Thanks
Scobro