My mother (48) was just diagnosed last Tuesday (9/11/12) with non small cell lung cancer/adenocarcinoma. The tumor found on the upper lobe of her right lung was found within the last 12 months but was small in size so she has been having x-rays done every couple of months to check for change. Until this last one, the week before the 11th, there was no change. Now it has grown. She has had a biopsy done on Monday, shortly after which her lung collapsed. The biopsy came back malignant. She then had a CT scan and PET scan to check for other cancer. The PET scan came back clear, the place on her lung was all the cancer.
Her primary care dr/the one who has done all of this work is sending her to a thoracic surgeon at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and he is planning to do a robotic surgery. She has an appointment with him tomorrow. At this point we have not heard anything as far as staging goes and are hoping to learn that tomorrow. It seems since they are wanting to go ahead and remove the upper lobe of her right lung that it is an early stage, but that's just my opinion, idk.
Anyway, I have several friends who work at MD Anderson and really feel like that's where she should be. I've convinced her to go ahead and make an appt at MDA in case she isn't comfortable after this appt tomorrow. She and I are just concerned that coming to MDA and possibly having to take all the same tests again will delay surgery and we want to get it done before it can spread. Does anyone have any idea or advice as to whether or not it would be beneficial to get a second opinion at MDA and if it would be beneficial or a waste of time if she decided to use the original dr/thoracic surgeon? I just feel like we're in a time crunch but really want her to have the best care possible. Also, has anyone had any experiences with the robotic surgery for this type of cancer?
This has really caught us all off guard and we have so much to learn any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!